
Most of the times I am happy, positive and content but sometimes something reminds me in what a cruel world we live in and I feel like someone has punched me in the stomach.
One of these times was yesterday when we went with my photograpy class to view a photojournalist exhibition in Athens airport that has received an award. This exhibition made me question if this world that we live in is really a place where in the future I could raise children and made me realise that a lot of things happen around the globe that we remain unaware when we lock ourselves inside our little flats.
In the exhibition photojournalists have captured events that have occured in recent years and involve suffering provoked by man like war, violence, exploitation and natural disasters as well.
Horrors of mankind like the war in Iraq, the conflicts in the Democratic Republic of Congo where four million people have died in 6 years, Sierra Leone where 50,000 people where killed in civil wars and child workers in Bangladesh.
The natural disasters were about the hurricane Katrina, the earthquake in Kashmir and the Indonesian province of Aceh that was most affected by the tsunami.
Personally I could not have the strength to take photograhs of events like these (when I can see people sufferring near by all I want to do is help them) but I guess that without these photos people would not be reminded that there still so much poverty, violence and exploitation around the world even in 2006.
I could not post the photos as they are copyrighted but you can see all the exhibition from the following site:
http://www.worldpressphoto.nl
I often think that I live in a dream world because I have such a positive attitude and I smile a lot but sometimes
I wake up terrified.
(image by freckledfaced 29)



No comments:
Post a Comment