Thursday, September 28, 2006

Stigma of psychological distress

I am interested in the views of people concerning mental disorders.How do you feel about people who carry the stigma of suffering from a mental disorder and if you have experienced difficulties or your friends because of the stigma that psychological distress carries in our society.


Πως θα αντιδρούσατε αν καποιος σας έλεγε οτι έχει μια ψυχική διαταραχή;


I think that suffering is a part of life but for some people especially those with a mental illness it takes a more profound meaning.
As Charmaz wrote: suffering shapes social relationships and limits social worlds.Suffering shapes daily life and shapes lasting meanings...
Moreover when these people are stigmatised they are been isolated and as if the difficulties that they experience are not enough, they are isolated from the social world.From my experiece I know that even in the most difficult cases things can be done to enable them to be more functional and achieve a quality of life.What I don't seem to understand is how this society ended up to be so judgmental after all.

(art by Pete Revonkorpi)

No comments: