Thursday, September 28, 2006

Are memories ghosts of the past?


Our memories form any recollections that we have about our past.
They can take the shape of incidents, emotions, smells and can be relived in the present. Memories can be both pleasant and unpleasant. They come to visit you without warning; they occupy your mind and fill you with a variety of emotions. They come to visit like ghosts that lived in a past that’s gone and sometimes they can be so unpleasant that they haunt you. They often remind us of unfinished businesses with our past, times long forgotten and pleasant moments wished to be relived.

I don’t forget easily and my memories keep on reminding that. I carry with me the people that I have loved and liked in my life and I remember little details that for me are significant. Some of the people that visit me in my memories are away as the distance keeps them far. Others had to be away as this is how sometimes we humans manage to continue with our lives. They do come and visit me though and I don’t let go. Sometimes I am filled with a bittersweet sensation, other times I feel sad but mostly I feel lucky and alive. Maybe moments matter to me more because I know that they can fly away easily. I think that even sad memories can be a drive to help humans achieve self-actualization and grow emotionally.

I have a good memory; I remember smells, sounds and details that to some may seem trivial. A song can make me sad or happy or nostalgic as it is filled with memories. I think that I live in the present but I like to carry my memories with me, to take them out of the dusty closet and take them for a walk. If I was given a day to travel in the past I would go to all my memories and give them a big hug even to the unpleasant ones for being so lucky to have them come and visit me.

In the end I feel that humans are made of their memories the little moments that at the time that we live them seem trivial. But I know better so I try to live life to the fullest. I am going to hug everyone I love just in case they become memories one day and it will be too late.


(image by freckledfaced 29)

2 comments:

uncle said...

i didnt realized yet why only sad memories come up. songs, parfumes etc. gives me shocks of sadness and loneliness.

Pixie said...

Yes usually its the sad memories it happens to me as well.They tend to stick in mind more don't they?