Paul at that day was sitting next to me in my room.He is my Malaysian friend and he is a person that was always by my side. We always would discuss the most intimate and profound things. In my eyes he was wise;an open minded person that read a lot of books and could discuss about everything.I like to engage into endless conversations as well so apart from being friends we would discuss philosophy,existential issues, zen and daily life. Anything really that could be hidden in the hostel of our minds.That day I was feeling miserable and I expressed to him worries about the future and unresolved issues of my past.I was talking so fast that my breath shortened and I felt vertigo just before I break down in tears.I remember that he was the only person that when I cried let me cry.I think that because my friends are so used to seeing me smiling all the time they feel strange if I would cry and they don't let me.He did not stop me that day but he let me be. We both know that feelings unexpressed can lead people into forming obsessions.
He told me that my problem was that in my thinking I dwell a lot on the past. This is a common mistake that we make and we forget to live one day as it comes . He said to me that I should think about a train and observe the passengers. There are some people that sit on a seat that looks at the opposite direction from which they are traveling. These are the people that are thinking so much of their past that they forget the present. They do not enjoy the trip rather are constantly looking back behind their heads. Other people are seated at the same direction that they are traveling. They have turned their back on the past and have forgotten the lessons that their past taught
For him it is important to find a seat or have a position were you would look both ways. You would then carry the wisdom of the past as you look a bit behind but still manage to enjoy the traveling as you live the present. When you live today you can look ahead and make some short term plans and see which way you are going, which direction you are taking.You would look at the direction you are going but you would not dwell too much on it as you enjoy the travel.
If I would colour the way that I see life this would be shades of orange. Even though optimism characterizes me I have my sad moments and when I do I try to think of Paul and what he told me that night.I try to live the present and enjoy one day as it comes.And I never ever take things for granted.
(Sunshine asked me to write a story with the words:orange,vertigo,obsession,hostel and train that would require a fictitious story but instead I wrote an article and a true personal story,thank you)
(photography by gilad and phooey69)




11 comments:
Όμορφο post. Και δεν χρειαζόταν καν να γράψεις μια φανταστική ιστορία... Ο Paul είχε δίκιο μου φαίνεται, αν σκεφτόμαστε υπερβολικά το παρελθόν, αυτό θα μας καταπιεί...
σοφός ο φίλος σου!
απο το παρελθόν μας μαθαίνουμε δεν μένουμε σ'αυτό!
η ζωή είναι μπροστά μας και απολαμβάνουμε το τώρα!
καλό σου μεσημέρι
Σπουδαία υπόθεση οι σοφοί φίλοι. Όμορφη και αληθινή η περιγραφή σου.
(έχεις απάντηση στο αίτημά σου. ;))
Wise man that Paul is. Past should have only two functions: First is to learn lessons, and the second is to remember the good times then be happy. Past is only our vast archive of life; like a book collection. You fill yourself with them and be proud of them. Still I myself fail to follow that, sometimes. But just as you said, everyone has their melancholic times; it is like the cost of happiness.
Γειά σου Rania.
Πολύ ωραία η ιστορία σου. Ώρες-ώρες κολλάω αρκετά στο παρελθόν και αυτό μου κάνει τη ζωή δύσκολη. Με το που το παίρνω είδηση προσπαθώ να κάνω κάτι αμέσως για να ξεχαστώ.
Και φυσικά εννοώ πάντα το κακό παρελθόν ή το πολύ καλό που σε κάνει να αισθάνεσαι τρομερή νοσταλγία.
Η λύση με το τρένο είναι η ιδανικότερη νομίζω.
@sunshine
σε συχαριστώ πολύ για την πρόσκληση!Πραγματικά όταν ζούμε το παρελθόν χάνουμε το σήμερα και βλέπουμε τον κόσμο μονόφθαλμα.
@melomenos
Ναι μαθαίνουμε απο το παρελθόν, βέβαια κάποιοι το ξεχνάνε...
@dawkinson
Μακάρι να μπορούσα να σου γνωρίζω τον Paul.Eκτός απο το οτι είναι σοφός μοιάζει και λίγο σαν monk!
@gorgi
I have learned a lot from my friends and this is why they are so important.I liked your example to compare past with a book collection.The ending has been written what happened happened and we move forword.Of course everyone has melancholic times and so we appreciate even more happiness :)
@ggk
Καλωςήρθες
Και εγώ έχω κολλήσει στο παρελθόν και σε στιγμές που είμουν κάποτε ευτυχισμένη και νιώθω νοσταλγία.Προσπαθώ να εκτιμώ οτι συμβαίνει στο σήμερα και να χαίρομαι για ότι έχω ζήσει.Εξάλλου δεν έχει τύχει να νοσταλγούμε το παρελθόν και να περνάμε στο παρόν κατι σπουδαίο που δεν του δίνουμε σημασία γιατι κοιτάμε πίσω;Και το καταλαβαίνουμε αργότερα δυστυχώς...
Past is my roots. Present is my bole and my branches and all together hold high my future, my leaves.
The train metaphor is lovely and wise. (the whole story after all is very thought provoking!)
It is really difficult to strike a balance; learn from the past and not spend your life haunted by it and at the same time have the enthusiasm to anticipate your future without forgetting to live the present to the fullest...We should not forget but we shoudn't let memory/history etc to chain our future and make our present dull and repetitive. (I hope I am making sense!)
@crossed roots
welcome.that was a beautiful metaphor
@mia
of course you are making sense!We should not be haunted by the games that memory and nostalgia plays in our heads.
Σπουδαίο!!!
Τόσο καιρό σε έβλεπα στα comment του storm!
Τώρα σε βάζω και στα link μου!!!
Χρόνια πολλά!!!
@dimosthenis
χαιρομαι που σου αρεσε και σε ευχαριστώ τόσο πολυ για το link.Εγώ πάντως έχω διαβάσει αρκετές φορές το blog σου αλλά δεν είχα αφήσει σχόλιο ως τώρα.Χρονια πολλά!
Post a Comment