Saturday, April 28, 2007

Peculiar worlds


“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.”

H. P. Lovecraft

I always loved reading science-fiction books. I am especially attracted to those writers that in their books have created a whole mythical universe. The mythical worlds can be worlds occupied by hobbits and dwarves, funny villains or people that travel in different dimensions. This is the reason that I love the Lord of the Rings, the Discworld and Stephen King’s odd places. But there was one writer that creates such an atmosphere in his books that enabled me to think that I am travelling in these peculiar worlds and meeting these peculiar creatures. His name is Howard Philip Lovecraft and his books have influenced many writers, musicians and the pop culture.

He was born in 1890 in Rhode Island. His father died when he was young and he was raised by his mother. He barely went to school as he had a fragile health. As a young boy he wrote a lot of poetry and his grandfather was the one that encouraged him to read fiction. He had many emotional difficulties as a child as his family poor financial state, the death of his grandfather and his mother admission to a mental hospital made him contemplate ending his life. Later one in his life he got married but shortly divorced. In the last decade of his life he was very productive as he wrote many stories that all have created a myth as many believed that he is unreal and peculiar. His stories are so powerful that people would believe that some creatures actually existed. He has mostly written short stories some of which are: The Call of Cthulhu, The Shadow over Innsmouth and The Dunwich Horror.

I don’t think that Lovecraft is just another horror fiction writer. His books are not about the endless struggle between good and evil. He presents worlds that drive people insane, our inability to control our actions and describe peculiar gatherings. Unlike other writers he is inspired by dreams and nightmares and many of his stories resemble a travel to a symbolic unconscious. Ultimately maybe his stories were about his struggle within himself and those stories provided a window were he could travel away with his imagination to other worlds that he created scary but yet familiar.

(art by nighty)

13 comments:

Αγγελική Στ. said...

Τον έχω ακουστά αλλά δεν έχω ποτέ διαβάσει κάτι δικό του.. Τώρα όμως θα το δοκιμάσω.. Έχεις κάτι να μου προτείνεις;;

ggk said...

I'm also fond of science fiction and it's a long time since I read Lovecraft. I have almost forgotten his stories... I'll start reading them from the beginning.

As for the other books, I really love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (favourite hero Marvin) and Discoworld (favourite hero Twoflower).

Anonymous said...

Με άρεσε η παρουσίαση pixie...
Δεν δεν έχω διαβάσει ούτε εγώ αλλά όπως καταλαβαίνω (και όπως καταλαβαίνεις κ εσύ )θα με αρέσει.
με την πρώτη ευκαιρία λοιπόν..

Pixie said...

@sunshine
γράφει μικρές ιστορίες όλα τα βιβλία περιέχουν πολλές μικρές ιστορίες που είναι όλες καλές.Σου αρέσει η φαντασία ποιο βιβλίο σου αρέσει;

@ggk
Και εγώ είχα χρόνια να διαβάσω αλλά ξαναέπεσε στα χέρια μου ένα βιβλίο του.Αυτο που συζητούσαμε τις προάλλες ότι ξαναδιαβάζουμε κομμάτια απο αγαπημένα βιβλία.Μου αρέσει πολύ το Discworld.

@narita.
Αν σου αρέσει η fiction-horror θα σου αρέσει.Αν δεν διαβάζεις γενικά fiction μην αρχίσεις με Lovecraft. Παρε το insomnia -Stephen King απο τα ωραιότερα βιβλία που έχω διαβάσει και να φανταστείς οτι ως εκείνη τη στιγμή δεν μου άρεσε.Εσυ έχεις αγαπημένο βιβλίο φαντασίας;

Αγγελική Στ. said...

Κοίτα, εγώ είμαι φαν του Στήβεν Κινγκ αν και δεν θεωρώ όλα του τα βιβλία καλά.. Η Λάμψη και Το Αυτό πάντως είναι από τα αγαπημένα μου...

Anonymous said...

fiction-horror δεν έχω διαβάσει... Ψήνομαι όμως.
Αγάπημένο δεν έχω γιατί θέλω να διαβάσω ακόμα πολλά για να πω.
Θα πω όμως Σιλμαρίλλιον(αν μετράει) και Neverending story...απο τόλκιν και Έντε...
χεχεχεχε

Apotheosis said...

Pixie, I remember reading all three 'Apanta' (complete stories) Lovecraft volumes during Christmas while in Greece from university break many moons ago. I really like him, but he is depressing. He has woven an extraordinary world, but he is damn depressing. I think I prefer E.A. Poe slightly more.

ggk, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy was one of the most boring books I have ever tired to read. In fact, one of the few books I simply did not finish. Never understood its humour, really!

I trully recommend Dan Simmons 'Hyperion' and 'Endymion' saga, for anyone who wants to try science fiction. Superb.

K. (www.sarampalis.org)

Dawkinson said...

i am a sucker for sci-fi, as well!
more in the league of P.K.Dick and W. Gibson.
Nice presentation pixie!

Gorgi said...

A writer can not create anything that is not existing within him/her. The life of Lovecraft gave him the necessary material for writing those all. That brings a qestion to me; does someone have to live a hard life to be a successful writer? I know it is a skill to interpret those experiences into stories, but still, is that enough to be a good author? I dont know actually. It is peculiar :D

3 parties a day said...

Περιττό να σου πω πως ήμουν φαν του Lovecraft!

Pixie said...

@dawkinson
P.K.Dick and W. Gibson like them too!

@gorgi
I don't think that someone needs to have lived a hard life to be a successful writer. At the same time I admire people who have lived difficult lives and have the courage and strength to turn it into something creative like writing or art.You always raise profound issues gorgi, thank you.

@3 parties
Hμουν σίγουρή κοριτσάκι!

Elias said...

May I humbly suggest a subtler example of horror fiction? Talking about Algernon Blackwood's Willows, his classic Wendigo and more.
Blackwood's literature is not as flashy as Lovecraft's or King's. No hideous monsters or creepy ghosts or bloody vampires -usually. However he gives us 100% pure horror, guaranteed, through underground channels.

After all, H. P. Lovecraft declared once that: "The Willows is the best horror novel ever written".

Pixie said...

@κουνουπι
thanks for the suggestion!I will read it as soon as possible!It seems that many of us love fiction after all :)