The man who said "I'd rather be lucky than good" saw deeply into life. People are afraid to face how great a part of life is dependent on luck. It's scary to think so much is out of one's control. There are moments in a match when the ball hits the top of the net, and for a split second, it can either go forward or fall back. With a little luck, it goes forward, and you win. Or maybe it doesn't, and you lose. (Quote from the film Match Point)This brilliant movie by Woody Allen made me contemplate a lot on how important luck can be in ones life so much that a man preferred to be lucky than good. If you think about it in many cultures when a baby is born they wish that the baby is lucky in their lives. Not only in African and Indian tribes but also in our culture there are many superstitions concerning luck. Finding a penny or finding a four leaf clover is supposed to bring luck whereas a black cat crossing a street and breaking a mirror is supposed to be unlucky. I don’t believe in superstitions but because they exist for so many centuries I can only assume that for many people throughout the years luck was considered to be fundamental.
There a lot of things in life that we can not control and many times no matter how hard we try we can’t achieve our goals. This is where luck comes into place. Being at the right place at the right time and vice versa can be defining. Avoiding an accident or a disaster by simple luck can have an effect. Winning money in a lottery, meeting by chance the love of your life, finding by chance the opportunity of your life whereas others are working hard for the right opportunities during their whole lives can all be caused by luck.
What part do you think that luck plays in one life and what if someone has run out of luck? There are always people in our lives that we consider them unlucky and misfortunes happen to them all the time. What about them? Why do you think disasters attract some people and others not?
Rationalist philosophers deny the effect of luck and they believe that it’s only poor reasoning. Statistically speaking a person will get some luck eventually. Psychology also emphasize that believing in luck is derived by the need to be able to achieve a greater control in ones life and disguise the fear of the unknown. Jean Paul Sartre believes that people who believe in luck just try to avoid responsibility on things
For me luck was never an issue as I always believed that life is what you make of. However I can’t deny that luck plays some part and influence the cause of events. But I don’t believe that this is always an accident. My name of luck is positive thinking that when you have it you can attract good things happening to you not out of superstition but because you are positive to situations and bad things are not viewed as disasters. Moreover, maybe someone is not lucky but really capable and he doesn’t know it. When I think about a friend that attracts disasters she is always so negative and miserable. Or maybe because I am lucky I never thought about it before.
Then one day comes where luck comes to refute you and look you in the eye when by luck you escape from an accident or a natural disaster.
What are your thoughts on luck?
(art by pesare)



6 comments:
surely we make our own life, but luck defines the difficulty of it.
there were lots of times in my life when I fell victim of what we call "back luck". it wasn't a mistake of me, nor bad attitude etc. I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.
eventually, I made out a motto "you can't predict the wrong time, just try to stay out of the wrong places" ;)
Stormrider its that time that you think that luck is not needed and we make our own life that a series of bad events happen that are not related with our attitude but being at the wrong place at the wrong time.I hope that your series of bad luck has ended and I will keep your advice!
AVOID THE WRONG PLACES!So practical!How didn't I think of that before?
:)
Another interesting post and I could analyze a lot about it if I could now..
Sometimes I think back of some friends who have helped me a lot in life and wonder how lucky I was to find such good friends. However, if I wasn't there at the right place and time to meet them, I wouldn't know I am unlucky and maybe I could be currently unlucky because I haven't met some even more unique people or the love of my life :)
Maybe a misfortune wouldn't be consider such a big matter if you think that there is always a chance for a greater misfortune you can never expect, but that reminded me something from the laws of Murphy :)
Οptimus what you refer is when something bad is happening is to think that something even worse could happen.Shame that you could not analyze it more.Do you think that Murphy's law has something to do with luck?
Lets just say I wish I was lucky rather than hard working or whatever the hell manages to get you by in life.
At the same time, you need a little bit of everything. Even Gastone (Donald Duck's nemesis cousin!) had the odd fallout now and then, after all! And vice versa for Donald.
But if I had to chose, for some reason I would chose to be Donald. There is a sweetness of character that develops after hardship that never surfaces in a lucky person.
@apotheosis I agree with you we need a bit of imperfection.I like your example...
Post a Comment