Monday, November 13, 2006

A suitcase...

Our most vivid memories and recollections come from our childhood. We can remember sounds, smells and images so vividly that can affect as even today in our adult life. Many of our memories revolve around our parents; some are sweet and others are bitter.

I feel that the most difficult communication of all is the communication between a parent and a child. The parents fail to perceive children as having independent identities and even when they become adults they frequently treat them as children. Sometimes parents perceive children as their successors so they pressure children either to be like them or to do the things that they never did. Other times they have a lot of expectations from their children as they always wanted the perfect child. Other times a child is simply a parent’s property that should do what is told. Of course there are the times that parents are sweet and our memories smell of jasmine but we tend to remember the pain.

The negative feelings tend to be remembered especially when the pain comes from our parents. I feel that no matter how far away we are or how old we are our parents will affect as one way or another. Some of us carry a large heavy suitcase that is called memories. Some of the memories there are so heavy that we can barely drag our feet. Then we remain still and dwell over the past. For others the memory suitcase is lighter and they can walk easier. They stopped and they removed some of the nasty memories that laid there asleep and now they can move on.

The only time I feel defenseless is when a parent’s behaviour hurts me even though I was always independent. I think that this happens not only because our parents affect us but also because when they hurt us they re-open this suitcase with the nasty memories. I feel that the more we have coped with these nasty memories the easier it will be to communicate with ourselves and with the world.


Ένα παιδί ονειρεύεται ότι το αγκαλιάζουν
Είναι ξαπλωμένο κάτω από ένα δέντρο
και μέσα από τα φυλλώματα διακρίνει μια ηλιαχτίδα.
Είναι η μέρα που παίζει κρυφτό με το δάσος.
Ένα παιδί ονειρεύεται ότι το εμπιστεύονται.
Είναι ανεβασμένο στο δέντρο και ατενίζει τον ορίζοντα
Νυχτώνει, τα αστέρια λάμπουν
και το σεληνόφως λούζει το δάσος με φως
Ένα παιδί ονειρεύεται ότι το αγαπούν.
Κάθεται πάνω στα κίτρινα νεκρά φύλλα
που έχουν πέσει από τον άνεμο
Δεν είναι μέρα ούτε και νύχτα
Είναι στο πουθενά
Κοιτάει ψηλά το δέντρο και βλέπει την καρδιά του να κρέμεται από ένα κλαδί
Η καρδιά ταλαντεύεται και ο άνεμος με ένα φύσημα την ρίχνει κάτω, στον σωρό με τα ξερά φύλλα
Τόσο απλά σταμάτησε η καρδιά του γιατί το ευχήθηκε
Στο δάσος ένα παιδί ακόμα ονειρεύεται…

17 comments:

Dawkinson said...

'Αουτς. Εδώ έχουμε θέμα,που όπως και να είναι πονάει τους περισσότερους. Εγώ ανήκω στην κατηγορία εκείνων που είχαν τους απίθανα δοτικούς και καλούς γονείς και στην υποκατηγορία αυτών που τους έχουν χάσει πολύ κοντά και τους δύο.
Πονάει γιατί δεν πρόλαβα να πω πολλά και να δείξω ακόμα περισσότερα.
Η ακυρωμένη πρόθεση είναι πολύ βασανιστικό συναίσθημα. Ερχεται πακέτο με ενοχές.

Anonymous said...

@pixie:

Πάω στοίχημα ότι το έγραψες (και)για μένα το ποίημα στα ελληνικά,μια που τις προάλλες είχαμε την κουβέντα περί γλώσσας...

Αυτό με τις βαλίτσες που λες στο κείμενο,μου έφερε στο μυαλό τον ήρωα ενός εργου του Jean Anouilh,με τον τίτλο "Le voyageur sans bagages" - "O ταξιδιώτης χωρίς αποσκευές".Εκεί μιλά για κάποιον που χάνει τη μνήμη του κι έτσι είναι ελεύθερος να προχωρήσει στο μέλλον χωρίς βάρος.
Ο καθένας έχει το δικό του παρελθόν και τους δικούς του γονείς - μήπως τους διαλέξαμε;
Ωραίο ήταν να μπορούσαμε να απαλλαγούμε όσο γίνεται πιο γρήγορα από το βάρος των άσχημων αναμνήσεων και να μετουσιώναμε τον πόνο,όπου αυτός υπάρχει,σε δημιουργία.Να βρίσκαμε τη λύτρωση στην προσφορά και στο δέξιμο της αγάπης.
(Αν με αφήσεις,θα πω και άλλα που θα μοιάζουν ασυνάρτητα,γι αυτό σταματώ εδώ).
:)
Ωραίο θέμα!

Stormrider said...

Its really sad when parents consider their children as their "big investment" in the economic sense and not in the terms of feelings. It derives from the fundamental human desire to own, to control and have power on others.

Even a simple quarrel with a parent is very painful, cause he/she knows exactly what to say in order to hurt you as much as possible, regardless the fact he/she has good intentions.

Especially for male children there is the complex love-hate relationship between father and son, which has so many parameters I still can not understand fully (some experts refer to as "patricide" etc).

Still, we need to focus on the good moments, which despite what we may think, are much more in number than the bad ones. People find it very convenient to blame their parents for everything, focusing on some mistakes of them in their childhood past. I consider the first step to independence to forgive your parents and judge them fairly, knowing they had the best of intentions.

Pixie said...

@dawkinson
οι μνήμες των γονιών μας καλές ή επώδυνες μας επηρεάζουν πραγματικά. Γράψε ένα γράμμα στους γονείς σου και βγάλε από μέσα σου αυτά που έχεις να τους πεις...Νομίζω ότι δεν υπάρχουν καλοί ή κακοί γονείς αλλά κακές ή καλές στιγμές. Τι λες;
@gitsaki
Πες και άλλα!
Όμορφος τίτλος "O ταξιδιώτης χωρίς αποσκευές ".Θα ήθελα πολύ να δω το έργο και να φανταστώ πώς είναι να προχωράς χωρίς βάρος. Φαντάζομαι ότι θα νιώθεις ελεύθερος αλλά από την άλλη δεν ξέρω αν χωρίς μνήμη και βάρος εκτιμάς την ζωή. Αυτό που περιγράφεις είναι μια άμυνα που θεωρείται σαν ώριμοι από τους ψυχαναλυτές την μετουσίωση και συμφωνώ απόλυτα.
Το ποίημα το έχω γράψει παλαιότερα οπότε το έγραψα στα ελληνικά αλλά ναι με έχεις κάνει να θέλω να βάλω και ελληνικά. Εξάλλου έτσι εκφράζομαι καλύτερα.
@stormrider
Wish you said a bit more about the father- boy relationship.
I did not refer to blaming parents, I just expressed my view on that there is often a lack of communication between children and parents. This can hurt a child or even an adult and can lead to misinterpretations. For example a parent can talk in anger when you disagree with him or her and this can remind you of other anger moments in the past and make you sad. Maybe he was angry at work but still when you receive that it can hurt. I agree with you with a few exceptions parents did the best they could. This is why one should let go off the luggage and move on. I was away from my parents for so many years abroad and we have good relations what pisses me off is that they still see me as their little princess. It’s a curse. After I came back they thought I was still in adolescence!
:)

Pixie said...

@everyone
All good things come in trilogies like the lord of the rings!So I had three posts about communication.The first was about AI communication,the second about blogs and the third about child-parent communication.So now I can move on.
:)
Watch Babel.I saw it last week and I still think about it.Its all about communication and so much more!

Stormrider said...

@pixie
like I said, I haven't studied enough the parameters of the father-son relationship so I can not adequately elaborate on it :( ...

considering girls is really very sweet the idea that they are their parent's little princesses, but like we said, it can create problems. it may be more difficult for a girl to achieve independence because of the fact that its parents consider her as a protection-needing figure.

Anonymous said...

πόσο ευάλωτα είναι τα παιδιά;
πόσο εύπλαστα είναι στα χέρια μας;
πόσο ανίκανα να υπερασπιστούν τον εαυτό τους παρ'όλη την κρυμμένη γνώση τους;
πόση ζημιά μπορούμε να τους κάνουμε;
είμαστε κάποτε παιδιά;
κουβαλήσαμε αυτή την βαλίτσα;
ήταν βαριά ή ελαφριά;
τώρα είμαι ακόμα παιδί ή μεγάλωσα;
μου άνοιξες θέμα Rania!!!

ευχαριστώ κι εγώ για τα Ελληνικά!

Pixie said...

@melomenos
Eίσαι ένα μεγάλο παιδί!Πόσο μεγάλη είναι η δική σου βαλίτσα άραγε;Πίστεύω οτι και να ήταν βαριά στο παρελθόν τώρα είναι πούπουλο.

Anonymous said...

αυτή την βαλίτσα προσπαθώ να την αλαφρύνω όσο μπορώ!

Βλέπω κάτι μάτια
διάπλατα ανοιγμένα
παίζουν ταραγμένα τα βλέφαρα
ειναι μέσα τους φωλιασμένος ο τρόμος
Τρέμουν σαν το ελάφι
σ'άκουσμα φωνής να εξαφανιστούν
τρέχουν σαν λαγοί
πίσω απ'τις σκιές να κρυφτούν

Κι είναι αυτά τα μάτια
των μικρών παιδιών
που αγάπη δεν νοιώσανε
που απο την μέρα που γεννήθηκαν
γνώρισαν τον πόνο
την απονιά...
την ασχημη πλευρά της ζωής.

Τρέμει η καρδιά τους
σαν το φύλλο απ'το δέντρο
γιατί δεν νοιώσανε ποτέ
το χάδι ζεστασιάς της ζωής
μέσ' την ανασφάλεια
μάθανε να ζούνε
και ο φόβος για το αύριο
τα κυριαρχεί!

Vic Vega said...

Κατάφερες με ένα post να ανοίξεις δύο θέματα.
Το πρώτο αφορά τη σχέση γονέα-παιδιού, την πρώτη σχέση στη ζωή ενός ανθρώπου. Σίγουρα αφήνει αναμνήσεις και συναισθήματα καλά και κακά και δίνει στο παιδί μια πρώτη άποψη, μια οπτική γωνία για να κοιτάξει τον κόσμο. Πάντα αυτή η πρώτη εμπειρία θα γυρίζει πίσω στο μυαλό μας σε κάθε κρίσιμη απόφαση που πρέπει να πάρουμε σε κάθε καινούριο κεφάλαιο της ζωής μας να μας επηρεάσει.
Το δεύτερο θέμα είναι οι αναμνήσεις που κουβαλάμε γενικότερα και ο τρόπος που τις διαχειριζόμαστε. Πραγματικά δεν ξέρω τι είναι καλύτερο μια άδεια βαλίτσα ή μια γεμάτη; Και τελικά αυτό που μας κάνει καλύτερους είναι μια θετική ή μια αρνητική εμπειρία;
Πάντως οι καταστάσεις που συναντάμε στη ζωή μας και ο τρόπος που τις αντιμετωπίζουμε μας βοηθά να κατανοήσουμε τον εαυτό μας και να αποφασίσουμε τι ζητάμε από αυτή.

Anastasia Konstantakatou said...

I agree this a very tough issue that many people tend to forget when thinking about creating families. People get excited about it and yet leave on the side the very important question of how to raise a family. Personally i think it is important for all us that are yet to be parents, to sit down and write the things we hated as youngsters and the things we needed and wanted as 10 year old children. While this will not solve our problems -we cannot assume that our children will have the same needs and we should remember the generation gaps- it will at least provide us with a window to children's world, a world that is alien for most overworked-leading-routinized-lives adults.

Anonymous said...

Έχεις επιλέξει ωραίες εικόνες!

VROXOPOIOS said...

I feel that the most difficult communication of all is the communication between a parent and a child


Έχω δει και δυσκολότερες....

δυστυχώς...

ή ευτυχώς...

υγ.κάποτε είχαμε πει κατι για ένα ερωτηματολόγιο.

Pixie said...

@melomenos
πολύ γλυκό ποιήμα

@vic vega
Aνοιξα 2 θέματα έχεις δίκιο.Μου αρέσεο ο τρόπος που σκέπτεσαι και γράφεις.

@anastasia
I forgot about the influence of the generation gap.You are right

@gitsaki
Σ'ευχαριστώ γλύκα

@vroxopoios
Το αμέλεισα να σου το στείλω προλαβαίνω;

BugoTheCat said...

Strangely enough I don't have a furious inspiration for writting much here, even though it's a subject that truly matters me. Maybe there is also a good reason for me, the fact that the quarrels with my parents doesn't affect me these days (since I am far away from their influence (in the army), finished with my university duty at all and recently talked to them honestly about me and changed my role position towards them. Yep, several unexpected changes happened during my army duty ;P). So I am in a entirely diferrent mood to discuss this, even though I want to. At least I'll point out some things.

I was always angry with how most parents react and what they have in mind about the new generation, their children, their ways of raising them, etc. As if they weren't at a similar situation in the past, they weren't also in our, raised by parents who were strict about things they can't understand and belong in the newest generations.

In that aspect I wonder whether I have a blunt view about me as a future parent. I am asking myself whether I won't be as openminded as I think about the next generation and will become also too strict towards my children's way of life. Now, I tell to myself that I won't be like my parents, but maybe it's diferrent then..

I somehow think that one more reason for the attitude of our parents is anxiety. Most parents are anxious and our way of life is more to go outside, do wild things that our parents don't understand and are afraid of. Maybe they feel they have a responsibility upon us and thus they react anxiously, but maybe a bit without caution on our psychology because they have other matters to care about and maybe we become a burden living an energetic life full of action and dangers as most kids are supposed to do. Maybe sometimes they are too busy to take a more carefull decision on how to raise their children without harming them.

Then the question arises, why don't parents ask why they want to have children really and if they be as dedicated and patient needed, to not do enough harm to them and actually listen and understand them? One answer is that there is an anxious thought in society about people making family and kids as soon as possible because later that won't be easy. That fear happens especially in women who are forced to get married and have children as soon as possible. Several people decided to get married and raise children because that was the thing to do by society ethics. But did they actually know if they really wished to do so and had a good plan about doing it all good together?

In that aspect, I don't have a personal reason in why to get married and especially make children,. yet. Maybe my anxiety about what society will tell about me, would lead me in a haste of getting married and becoming just like the rest. Would I be ready to raise my children though?

Anonymous said...

Pixie,

Tu post invita a la reflexión. El daño que ocasiona una comunicación inadecuada entre padres e hijos no solamente afecta a los hijos, los padres también desarrollan sentimientos de culpa cuando creen que lo que tratan de inculcar en sus hijos no funciona. A veces también los problemas emocionales que los padres tuvieron cuando fueron niños, los transmiten a sus hijos convirtiendo el problema en un círculo vicioso. Yo creo que la solución está en educarse para ser padres antes de tomar la decisión de traer hijos al mundo. Como todo en la vida, educación y conocimiento son claves para ser buenos padres y de ese modo, criar buenos hijos para que éstos no solamente sean felices y no lleven esa maleta o suitcase de amarguras y recuerdos tristes, sino que además sean capaces de ser buenos padres también. Desgraciadamente, la sociedad en que vivimos se preocupa de educar para producir, para generar dinero, olvidando la enseñanza de los aspectos humanos más importantes.

Un abrazo y disculpas por escribir en español.

Pixie said...

@epidia garcia
Puedes escribir an espanol, es tu propia lengua!
Si es verdad que es muy importante criar ninos para ser buenos padres.Pienso que a veces olvidamos nuestra infancia y perdimos la panciencia con nuestros ninos.Es una pena!