“When people are very original, sometimes they are original to resist the mainstream.”
Michael Gondry.
Michael Gondry is the director of the “Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind” (Η αιώνια λιακάδα ενός καθαρού μυαλού) and soon his new film “The science of sleep” will be released in the cinemas. Before that he created a great number of short films before he embarked in his first long film endeavor called “Human Behaviour.”
When I think about Gondry I think about a man that refuses to grow up in a world of pretenses and I see a man that not only hasn’t lost the child inside him but dares to expose it. As he said in an interview “childhood occupies the biggest part of your brain so a lot of my memories subconsciously and consciously enter the videos I do.”
He was born in France in 1963 and apart from a very talented film director he has directed music video clips that are innovative, imaginative, surreal and deeply thought provoking. He was always listening to music and performed as a drummer in a band. Describing the meaning of music in his life he mentioned in an interview that "we listened a lot to pop music, rhythm and blues, and my father was a big Duke Ellington fan. So I never got into music as some sort of reaction to my parents. I didn't have to use music to throw shit back at my parents. They gave me lots of freedom in thinking. I just listened to the music I had always liked.” He has collaborated with Bjork in many of her videos (Isobel, bachelorette, human behavior), Beck (cell phone’s dead), Massive Attack’s (protection), Radiohead (Knives out), White stripes, Chemical Brothers and much more. It’s worth seeing his videos as they remind me of short films where he is presenting through images imaginative stories.
His films are deconstructing reality and incorporate our memories, our dreams and the importance of storytelling is emphasized. His videos and films are thought provoking and have something to tell. He has also participated in various exhibitions where he introduced his ideas by using video installations. The world of Gondry is a world for all the adults that will always feel young and question the certainties of this life. Discover him and make your own deconstructions about this world and don’t forget to travel with your imagination as a vehicle.
Link: Gondry
(Image by Gondry in Bjorks video,photo by rachel owens)
13 comments:
this guy is actually obsessed with how the human mind works, and how memories affect our present...
I have seen the "eternal sunshine" and I was deeply puzzled about the fact that even if bad memories create bad feelings or make our lives difficult, they are the foundation of our personality.
@stormrider
I think that his work is fascinating and I am amazed that he notices things that we miss or we forget and as you said explores the human brain that has capacities which we are unaware of.He is also presenting his ideas often through surrealism and I have heard that in his new film he is going to explore and deconstruct representations of what is real and what is not.
Memories, dreams and things we see around us invade in our personalities many times subconsciously.
Missed your comments!
I was away for a while and although your post about luggage was quite appropriate for my case, I only had the chance to take brief looks on my own blog... but now I am back!!! ;)
The 'eternal sunshine' is one of my favorites.I am really looking forward to the 'science of sleep'!
τώρα τι να πώ;
αν κατάλαβα καλά μου δίνεις συμβουλή να συνεχίσω να νιώθω σαν παιδί;
χα χα χα!!!
λοιπόν κατάλαβα ή όχι θα συνεχίσω να το κάνω!!!
θα έρθεις παρέα pixie;
@dawkinson
I am looking forward to seeing it too.There is also a DVD out with all the work by Gondry that I hope to get my hands on
@melomenos
Καλά κατάλαβες.Μόνο που είπα στο παιδί να μείνει παιδί.Πάντως να δείς την αιώνια λιακάδα είναι για μένα η απόλυτη ιστορία αγάπης με μια γερή δόση σουρεαλισμού.
εντάξη καλή μου θα ακολουθήσω την συμβουλή σου θα συνεχίσω να είμαι παιδί.
και βέβαια θα την δώ την ταινία!
καλό ξημέρωμα
Θα ήθελα πολύ να έχω σπουδάσει νευροφυσιολογία και άλλα τέτοια,παρεμφερή.Θα ήθελα πολύ να μάθω πώς οι αναμνήσεις,τα όνειρα,οτιδήποτε αντιλαμβανόμαστε με τις αισθήσεις,επηρεάζουν τον ψυχισμό μας.
@Γιτσάκι
Νομίζω οτι αν αφήσουμε λίγο την φαντασια μας ελεύθερη και ξεχάσουμε πολλά απο αυτα που μας έχουν μάθει μπορει και να το καταφέρουμε.
I must see this movie oneday!
Thank you pixie for your interesting posts that put me into worlds I am not aware of and yet have to discover. I will google/wiki for Gondry soon and find more, he seems to be interesting to me..
@optimus
for the little I know about you, you will love him!He is challenging our point of view.
No he visto las películas de Gondry, aunque he leído muy buenos comentarios acerca de su trabajo. Me atraen las películas que invitan a la reflexión y provocan la imaginación. Gracias por recomendarlo.
Abrazos.
@Epidia Garcia
You will also like his new film the science of sleep but I suggest that you see first his first one the eternal sunshine...
Post a Comment