For the past few days I have been helping a person to move house. Those of you that have moved or helped someone move are aware that it is an exhausting experience that makes your back hurt and sends you early to bed. However, I think that more importantly, it can be a rediscovery of ones self. The difficult part in a moving is that we have to separate all of our possessions that we have been accumulating over the years. This is the time that we relive past memories as they are projected through all the sentimental objects that we have collected over the years. We discover letters that we have kept, photos that were misplaced, presents that we did not like but still have kept and many things that we keep holding on to that sometimes are buried in our closets.
Inside carton boxes our lives are laying there and we can observe ones personality not only from the belongings that they have but more importantly from the things that they hold on to. We can stumble on people in our past that still affect us and we can not let go, we can find out about what makes sense in our lives and observe the attachments that we form with objects.
Carton box after carton box we can also detect the changes that have occurred in our lives. We may throw away objects that once were significant while keep objects that we never needed before. We can observe our habits, our sentiments, our behaviours and their course throughout the years.
Moreover, we can also recognize our own sense of materialism and observe our attachments with materials through our reactions in a moving. We can note our reaction when something that we love breaks and we can notice our reactions if we have to get rid of some things when we have to move to a smaller house.
Moving is an experience that can be very self rewarding. Apart from moving to a new place which is always exciting, there is all these realizations that you can make about your self and can help in your emotional growth and awareness. If a friend is moving you can always find something more about them and challenge your own views on materialism. For all this reasons and because change for me is something exciting I perceive moving to be a very rewarding and fun experience!
(art by magooey)
10 comments:
Πολύ ενδιαφέρον το θέμα και ακόμα πιο ενδιαφέρουσα η προσέγγιση.
Και εδώ θυμάμαι κάτι στίχους γνωστού τραγουδιού της δεκαετίας του 90 "μια μετακόμιση θα κάνω απ το σπίτι το παλιό/μια μετακόμιση για πλάκα ή με σοβαρό σκοπό/μια μετακόμιση που θα βοηθήσουν φίλοι και γνωστοί...".Νομίζω πως το τραγουδούσε η Σοφία Βόσσου.
Συμφωνώ πως η μετακόμιση μπορεί να βγάλει στο φως πολλά,όπως κάθε σημαντική αλλαγή στη ζωή μας.Αυτά τα ξεχασμένα ντουλάπια και συρτάρια,τα οποία αναγκαστικά τα κοιτάζουμε σχολαστικά άδειάζοντας το περιεχόμενό τους όταν είναι να φύγουμε από κάπου,μπορούν να μας κάνουν να σταματήσουμε για λίγο το ξε/κουβάλημα και να αρχίσουμε το κλάμα ή την περισσυλογή στο μέσον του άδειου από αντικείμενα χώρου.
@Γιτσακι
Ναι αυτήν την εβδομάδα εκτός απο μια εβδομάδα κουραστική ήταν και μια εβδομάδα παρατήρησης.Σκεφτόμουν το πόσο δύσκολο είναι να αφήσουμε τα πιο μικρά πράγματα και πόσο ακόμα πιο δύσκολο να αφήσουμε τα μεγάλα εκείνα που μας κάνουν να θυμόμαστε...τις μνήμες κάτω απο το χαλάκι.
κάθε τι που βρίσκουμαι μας φέρνει και μια ανάμνηση!
το μυαλό μας τρέχει στις σελίδες του παρελθόντος και μας θυμίζει στιγμές που ήρθαν αυτά τα αντικείμενα στα χέρια μας, στιγμές που ερωτευτήκαμε, που αγαπήσαμε , που γελάσαμε, που χαρήκαμε..είναι μικρά κομμάτια της ζωής μας!
κάτι τέτοιες στιγμές
οι αναμνήσεις ξαναγυρίζουνε...
δυστυχώς ο μεταφραστής
δεν μου έδωσε πολύ καλή μετάφραση!
καλημέρα σου
Αγαπητή pixie,
Σου στέλνω το ποίημα,ως απάντηση σε αυτό που έγραψες...
One Art
by Elizabeth Bishop
The art of losing isn't hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.
I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.
--Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
the art of losing's not too hard to master
though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.
@melomenos
Σε ευχαριστώ για το σχόλιο σου και που με αντέχεις παρόλη την δυσκολία σου με τα Αγγλικά.
@Γιτσάκι
Τι να πώ με συγκίνησες με αυτό το απίστευτο ποιήμα!Λέει με λίγες λέξεις όσα εγώ θα προσπαθούσα να πω με χίλιες!Ειναι απο τα ωραιότερα ποιήματα που έχω διαβάσει.Με εντυπωσιάζουν οι γνώσεις σου!
Ωραίο θέμα!
Για μένα η μετακόμιση είναι μια διαδικασία ξεσκαρταρίσματος, που σε περναεί στο επόμενο εξελικτικό στάδιο της ζωής σου. Είναι η συνειδητή επιλογή και μετάβαση από μια φάση σε άλλη, πιο σωστα σχεδιασμένη. Εαν και δεν έχω μετακομίσει τα τελευταία 10 χρόνια, 'μετακομίζω' μέσα μου συνέχεια και τα κουτιά μου γίνονται όλο και πιο λίγα από όλα αυτά που αποποιούμαι στην πορεία. Υπέροχο το elimination process και το 'yard sale' των ιδεών! Να βλέπεις τους άλλους να βρίσκουν νόημα σε αγαπημένες σκέψεις που αφήσεις συνειδητά πίσω.
I am moving at the moment. It has taken most of my time the last week, carrying my belongings and placing them in my new house. As my new house is quite smaller I had to get rid of some things. Actually I feel relief to have done so. Most of the old stuff I threw away were still there because I had enough space to keep them, not because I needed them. As you say people are attached to their material posessions, even the ones they no longer need.
Of course a lot of my memories came up. Actually not from the stuff I found in my closet; when I saw my empty appartment I remembered the last time I saw it empty, when I was moving in. I had some good times in that house and that is what I will take with me in my new home.
@lenay ensenado
Welcome and thank you for your comment.Its true sometimes you need to move on with life.
Το 'the art of losing' της Bishop είναι ένα και από τα δικά μου τρισαγαπημένα. Αυτός ο τελευταίος στίχος! Τι πικρή ειρωνεία και αλήθεια!
Para mí, cambiarme de casa es una experiencia aterradora. Principalmente por el trabajo que implica, pero también por la labor de limpia que hay que hacer para deshacerse de todos los papeles que alguna vez creí importante guardar. Luego, en cada tarjeta, carta y periódico viejo, hay que decidir si lo mandas o no a la basura. A veces, terminas volviendo a quedarte con la misma basura que tenías antes. Casi todos los seres humanos tenemos ese pueril apego sentimental a las pequeñas cosas que nos traen recuerdos, o que significaron algo importante. Sin embargo, aunque todo se quede en la memoria, queremos que algo físico nos retraiga a esos momentos para no olvidarnos algún día de ellos.
Abrazos.
Post a Comment