Thursday, November 30, 2006

Abandonment

“The act of abandoning, or the state of being abandoned; total desertion; relinquishment.”

I have to explore the feeling of abandonment through photography. Abandonment is a feeling that we have all felt once in our lives. Maybe we have lost someone that we care about physically or metaphorically maybe we have felt abandoned by people or maybe we have acknowledged the existence of this feeling as we observe an abandoned house or an abandoned place.

The interesting thing is that when I heard about our new exploration in photography I felt a bit numb as I could not remember my self feeling completely and absolutely abandoned. I have felt in the past alone, left, lonely, but I am not sure if I have really felt the real meaning of the word abandoned.

I am a social creature, a person that needs others and wants to be needed. I have so much need of intimate contact that I value and honor friendship. Its important for me to be able to express my self my feelings close to people I love and have meaningful conversations as well as fun. I don’t know how to hide my feelings and rarely do things that pressure me. Thinking about it loneliness must be my greatest fear as for me it is important to share and live not alone but with.

There were times in my life where I have felt lonely, in my mind comes the time when I had to stay in England alone and all my friends were gone. I have also felt lonely metaphorically, alongside with people that we had nothing in common. I have felt heart-broken and left after a break up but I never believed that I was been abandoned. Maybe I am a positive person and the adversities can only make me a stronger or a more experienced person. Maybe it scares me to believe that I was abandoned and I just describe it as being left. Maybe I am too arrogant to believe that I was ever abandoned and maybe all of the above. Before I capture this feeling in my camera I need to search it within my self. It is easy to characterize something as being abandoned but its so damn difficult finding it within yourself.

(art by krecha)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel infinately more lonely when I am amongst people I have nothing in common with, or even worse I find them boring or annoying, rather than being on my own.

Pixie said...

@apotheosis
I feel the same way as you.I am comfortable with myself and I have felt lonely, bored amongst people that we could not communicate.You did not tell me if you have felt the feeling of abandonment...

Αλεξία Ηλιάδου (synas) said...

Καλό σου μήνα, γλυκιά μου... Θα περάσω το βράδυ να διαβάσω όοοολα όσα έχω χάσει τόσον καιρό..

Stormrider said...

the most times I feel alone are those when I am with people with nothing in common. it's a very sad feeling and leads to many misunderstandings.

anyway, there is a brilliant motto from Arka's "Montechristo":

"Καμμιά φορά ανησυχώ μην με εγκαταλείψουν όλοι και μείνουν μόνοι τους..."

Dawkinson said...

I agree with the commentators that the state of loneliness is far more enhanced amongst the incomprehensive noise most people make. However, the state of abandonment encloses loss of someone much loved and it is way more heartbreaking...

3 parties a day said...

Έχεις δίκιο. Η μοναξιά δεν είναι συνώνυμο της εγκατάλειψης.
Το γράφω, γιατί ψάχνοντας να βρω τι σημαίνει για μένα "εγκατάλειψη", σκέφτηκα τη μοναξιά. Όμως δεν είναι το ίδιο.
Η άλλη σκέψη που μου πέρασε από το μυαλό είναι, πως νιώθω εγκαταλελειμμένη, στις περιπτώσεις που αισθάνομαι αβοήθητη. Όταν κανείς δεν μπορεί -ή δεν θέλει- να κάνει κάτι για μένα, τις στιγμές που το έχω ανάγκη.

Pixie said...

@syna
σε ευχαριστώ γλυκιά μου

@stormrider
I love the quote you shared.I think that you can experience the meaning of loneliness when you are with people but you still feel alone.I think that like me you find it difficult to identify what abandonment is as you describe it as loneliness.Maybe we both haven't felt that way before.

@dawkinson
I agree with you its something more profound but have I got it in me?Have I felt that way before?Its difficult to give an image to it.

@3parties a day
Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ για το σχόλιο σου.Νομίζω και εγώ οτι η εγκατάλειψη δεν είναι η μοναξιά.Το προσέγγισες πολύ ωραια σίγουρα νιώθεις αβοήθητος (helplessness) μετά απο εγκατάλειψη.Ενα κατάλαβα.Η δεν το έχω νιώσει ποτέ, είτε αρνούμαι να πιστέψω οτι έχω νιώσει έτσι.

Ξέρω οτι είναι λίγο βαρύ σαν θέμα αλλά με προβλημάτισε ο ισχυρισμός της δασκάλας μου οτι όλοι το έχουμε νιώσει μια φορά στην ζωή μας και αυτό στάθηκε η αφορμή για να γράψω.

Anonymous said...

Αν έχει δίκιο η δασκάλα σου,pixie,τότε θα είχαμε όλοι μας κοινή την εμπειρία της εγκατάλειψης κι έτσι θα ήμαστε καλύτεροι στις διαπροσωπικές μας σχέσεις.
Είναι σίγουρο ότι μοναξιά και εγκατάλειψη δεν είναι καθόλου ίδια εμπειρία.Πολλές φορές επιζητούμε εμείς τη μοναξιά.Αλλά ακόμα κι όταν μας επιβάλλεται,και άρα είναι αθέλητη,είναι πολύ πιο light(ας μου επιτραπεί η έκφραση)από την εγκατάλειψη.Η μοναξιά το πολύ να σου γεννήσει φόβο - η εγκατάλειψη σε οδηγεί στην απόγνωση και στην απελπισία.Τα μεγέθη είναι διαφορετικά...

Pixie said...

@Γιτσάκι
Σίγουρα, αλλά θέλει να ψάξουμε την έννοια της εγκατάλειψης οπότε δεν πρέπει να βρούμε τα κομμάτια που πλησιάζουν σε αυτο μέσα στον εαυτό μας;Δυσκολέυομαι και εγώ να πάω βαθύτερα απο το συναίσθημα της μοναξιάς.Με αφορμή άρχισα να συνειδητοποιώ πόσο με τρομάζει η εγκατάλειψη.
Πάντως σαν εικόνα στο μυαλό μου η εγκατάλειψη μοιάζει με ένα εγκαταλελειμένο κτίριο, ένα ερειπωμένο χωριό, έναν δρομο μοναχικό.

Αλεξία Ηλιάδου (synas) said...

Μία και μοναδική φορά στη ζωή μου βίωσα το αίσθημα της εγκατάλειψης. Ένοιωσα κυριολεκτικά την καρδιά μου να σκίζεται στα δύο... ο πόνος ήταν αφόρητος.

melomenos said...

Η ψυχική εγκατάλειψη δημιουργεί ανασφάλεια φόβο για το αύριο και κυριαρχεί στον άνθρωπο που την αισθάνεται.
Ολα τα άλλα είδη εγκατάλειψης νομίζω ότι αντιμετωπίζονται πιο εύκολα αρκεί να υπάρχει δύναμη και θέληση.
καλό απόγευμα

Anonymous said...

@pixie:

Δεν ξερω.Εμένα η εγκατάλειψη μου φέρνει στο μυαλό χειμωνιάτικο σούρουπο σε νεκροταφείο,με τον αέρα να κουνάει τα κυπαρίσσια.

Anastasia Konstantakatou said...

i really liked this text. i wish you and (of course everyone else too) never to feel abandoned; I side with you, (I think) I have not experienced this feeling yet. But I have been close to people that feel this way and they exhibit such a melancholy, it is heartbreaking. A little bit of loneliness does us good; abandonment is very difficult to bear particularly if the agents/actors are people you value and are important to you.

I guess that there are 'lighter' forms of abandonment that are not so painful: no neighbour ever 'abandoned' you? You could photograph the empty space of his flat. Or a bus that passed you by leaving you under the rain.

Pixie said...

@anastasia
Beautiful images.
If you lived in Greece I would invite you to join my class!

Anonymous said...

Καλησπέρα!

Ωραίο το θέμα σου pixie. Συμφωνώ με gitsaki (22.31). Μεταξύ των δύο διαφορετικών μεγεθών, μοναξιάς και εγκατάλειψης, η μοναξιά πονάει λιγότερο και τουλάχιστον κάποιες φορές είναι και επιλογή... Και η εγκατάλειψη (σε όλες της τις μορφές) μπορεί να γεννήσει απελπισία... και όπως έχω ξαναπεί (και θα το ξαναπώ γιατί το πιστεύω όσο τίποτα), δεν υπάρχει χειρότερο πράγμα από έναν απελπισμένο άνθρωπο.

Τις καληνύχτες μου,
Ξ.

Anonymous said...

Pixie no, I do not and have not felt abandonment. I have felt disappointment, but I I cannot identify with the concept of abandonment. I think people should be free to do what they will, and if their will does not include me, they have every right to.
I would make a single exception to the above when it is in regard to parents.

Anonymous said...

El sentimiento de soledad puede ser muy abrumador dependiendo de las circunstancias y sí lo he sentido alguna vez. Sin emabrago, el sentimiento de abandono creo que es aun más terrible. Muchas de las personas que se han quitado la vida, lo hacen porque se sienten abandonados: por una pareja, por el mundo, por sus padres. Sentirse abandonado debe ser probablemente uno de los peores sentimientos. Imagino por ejemplo un niño que es dejado a su suerte solo, indefenso ante el mundo, en una acera de una calle, o junto a una puerta. El daño que se le ocasiona tal vez sea irreparable.

Abrazos.

Pixie said...

@Epidia garcia
muchas gracias para su comentario.Creo que este sentimiento es lo mas insoportable para los demas y espero que nunca sentimos asi.