
Beliefs define the core of our existence and are enabling us to evolve as human beings. These liberal beliefs that are meant to free us frequently become an obstacle. They narrow our thinking and dictate our daily lives.
People that have liberal ideologies have stopped evolving, something that is contrary to what they advocate to believe. Their ideologies are only liberal on the surface and are trapped inside a vicious circle that their own beliefs have created. Their mentality is full of rules on what they should or shouldn’t do. This happens to the extent that they often create their own dictatorship inside their head. Rules that define what a free thinking individual should think, do or avoid.
I was always opposed to the labels that define our principles and beliefs. I think that this is a narrow minded attitude that enhances the separation amongst people. Belonging in a category always gave people a sense of belonging in a group. What I feel though is this need for belonging places our existence in categories. This separates us from ourselves and the world we live in. For me a liberal mind is the one that deconstructs categories. I don’t prefer to be liberal I prefer to be me.
art by inky



5 comments:
Good to read from you again. I agree on the deconstruction part. I think the reason liberal people of all sorts have failed to truly embody what they believe in is that we've simply not evolved to that level as a species. I always believed that social progress is as much a part of evolution as our thumbs and on that level we are not at this point where we can effectively deconstruct all sense of authority, including self-imposed authority, our own ethics and aesthetics. We repeatedly stumble and fall on the obstacle that is the stereotypes we have inherited/created on what liberalism really ought to mean.
But you have to take a step back and observe how much we have progressed over the course of time and how this progress has been sped up over the past century. Even the fact that soviet socialism has failed and that the liberals have condemned the practices of the USSR is a sign of progress, it's a step forward, it proves that people can see beyond what's being served to them and make their own minds.
Don't be fast to condemn people that claim to be liberals and fail to abide to the principles of liberalism. The human spirit fails, as it should, as it always will. But you have to be optimistic when you see people around you trying, even if they never succeed. As long as they don't get too sucked up to the whole thing and remember that they're Rania first and liberals subsequently, there's hope.
To quote smarter-than-me people, we've seen the revolution of the masses and I am pretty confident we'll get to see the revolution of the individual too.
Take care, write more.
βασικά είναι πολύ σημαντικό να γνωρίζουμε οτι δεν είναι σκοταδιστές μόνο αυτοί που φοράνε παρωπίδες, αλλά και αυτοί που αρνούνται τα πάντα.
Γενικά έχει μπερδευτεί πάρα πολύ το "επεξεργάζομαι κριτικά" απο το "λέω όχι σε όλα", πράγμα στο οποίο στηρίζεται όλη η σύγχρονη αριστερή κοσμοθεωρία.
Όπως έχει πει, η ελευθερία είναι καθαρά state of mind. Το να να έχεις υπεραναπτύξει αρνητικά αντανακλαστικά για τα πάντα είναι ένδειξη φόβου κι όχι ελευθερίας.
Again a good topic from a good writer. I believe, liberalism is still a very subjective way of thinking. How can a mind be free from all the prejudice and consider every detail and aspect of the subjects? I try to be liberal, even though it is fairly difficult to be especially in my country. I think being liberal is giving every idea a chance to explain themselves, and lsiten to them without prejudices, and observing them.
Still, liberalism is a very slow way of evolving; but it's also less hazardous, thats for sure.
On the other hand, I concur with Rania about the classification of people's ideas. How come ideas be so strict. Thoughts change due to the life and experienced of people.
khayman
My intention was not to condemn people but I do get frustrated you are right!You are also right to say that liberalism is hope, I just observe many so called liberals to have lost hope.They also have created so many rules in their lives that I can't help wondering if this is liberalism or another form of slavery.
@stormrider
Ναι συμφωνώ απολυτα μαζί σου.Και οσο πιο ακραίες ειναι οι θέσεις κάποιου συνήθως τόσο πιο ανελεύθερη είναι η σκέψη τους.
@gorgi
Really when I read your views I think that you are a rare species especially in your country!I think that you gave me the definition of liberalism "I think being liberal is giving every idea a chance to explain themselves, and listen to them without prejudices, and observing them".The essence of free thinking.
Bitterness and cynicism often comes hand in hand with abandoned hope. But it's better to have hoped and be bitter than to not have hoped at all, eh?
I'm full of cliches these days.
Post a Comment