
"He who plants a tree, plants hope..."
After the ecological disaster that the fires provoked in Greece there are few words left to be said. The shocking realization is what the inhabitants of this country lack the most is ecological awareness. It is a shame that we tend to remember nature only when an ecological disaster occurs. We live in a country where you have to search hard in order to find a place to deposit material for recycling. Most people have never recycled in their lives. We live in a country that hasn't taught people to respect nature and without regrets we throw our garbage and burning cigarettes outside our car window. We live amongst people that do not respect animals and the role that they play in our ecosystem rather we view them only as food material. We live in a place that has not employed enough fire-fighters and the ones that we have are not adequately trained. We live in a country that has not created an escape plan in case of emergency. We live in a country that the protection of the ecosystem was never on the agenda. We live in a country where its people in order to explain the unexplainable create conspiracy theories and look behind their fingers.
The country is certainly to be blamed for years of neglect.
The country should not only be blamed but its inhabitants as well that avoid responsibility.
Unfortunately we live in a country that things are easily forgotten...
I write this so that something can be remembered.
(image by pesare)
11 comments:
I'll say it one more time and be hated by another bunch of people.
We deserve this. The people that died, the people that survive them, we who watch this whole thing from our TV sets, no less detached than watching an intense film, we all deserve this.
Some may try to not be part of the problem, some even try to be part of the solution, but guess what. Not nearly enough.
I realize people have died, families have been torn apart, fortunes lost, I fully comprehend when I say, we all are only what we deserve to be.
Things don't have to be this way. People, animals and trees don't need to die in such stupid ways. Simply take the opportunity to evolve. It's the one good thing our species has been good at. Take the hint. 1/3 of Mt. Parnetha being burnt to the ground was NOT ok. The temperature going up is NOT ok. Take the hint.
I've heard people, otherwise intelligent and composed people, say the planet has its way of balancing things and so we're all going to be ok. I agree on the planet part, it's fairly obvious, not so much on us being ok, though.
The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas. It will heal itself and go its way. But it doesn't have to be this way.
Just take the god damn hint.
@khayman
It is really immature for someone to believe that the planet has its way of balancing things.Again we deny the responsibility that each and everyone has towards the environment.We have a talent for blaming others
Our curse is the the oblivious effect of our damn ego. We see the things as we like, made up excuses, maybe curse a little the way of things, then forget. This is not only for ecology, it is for everything that is was our fault.
In Turkey we, too, lost thousands of square meters forests. Same thing, except the loss of individuals. Still, this will repeat next year, then other year, then on and on. Until there is nothing left. I can only feel sadness.
Nothing can be done to protect but change our way of seeing things. Still, it is very hard as nevertheless we are human.
O ανθρωπος μπορει να ξεχνάει τον πόνο, ίσως και αυτά που βλέπει, εύκολα..δεν ξεχνάει όμως μυρωδιές και άσχημα συναισθήματα... δε νομίζω να ξεχαστεί..Για το αν επαναληφθεί δεν παίρνω όρκο.Μέτρα; θα προσπαθήσω.
@gorgi
I am sorry about the fires there as well.I hope this thing will stop at a point as we pressure the governments to deliver at least the basic.
@narita
ελπίζω τουλάχιστον να αλλάξουμε τρόπο σκέψης
Although we talk about the fires every day , I already have the feeling that we start forgetting the size of the disaster and the responsibilities and plenty more things.
people have to learn.
people abroad about have to learn about the real situation in greece, and people in the country about the limitations, threats and potential of the environment.
in a country where one of the most famous ancient civilizations started, it is a real shame that the latest civilization, i.e. 'green movement', may die.
@ggk
Unfortunately I think so too
@bluelephant
Truly.Lets hope that this can be a lesson for Greece to start prioritizing the environment.
Welcome!
I really don't think anything really significant can be done for the environment at this point in the course of humankind. I honestly think that people need to learn to better care for themselves and each other before they take the step of taking care of anything else.
And I strongly believe there can be no really significant and noteworthy green movement as a standalone entity just as I honestly don't believe a feminist movement makes sense on its own.
Both these issues are part of a greater array of issues, the root of which is mosltly common. And I don't want to lecture anyone on capitalism and the class struggle here cause we're all smart kids and as smart kids we can make our own mind on what the problem really is. You figure it out. I am saying however that you can't really solve the problem by focusing on the side effects. And so I think saving our ecosystem is impossible when we don't even try to understand what exactly is destroying it.
Excelente work, Pixie, thank you!
How are you, my friend?
Greece already is in peace?
Now we have that to be all joined and solidary to recoup our Greece, because Greece is of all we.
Alive Greece!
HUBRIS AND SEMESIS, BEFORE AUTUMN...
@khayman
I absolutely share your view!We don't even understand what destroys the ecosystem and many don't even care to know the reasons either.
Post a Comment