
This is time to escape the city,to look after ourselves and enjoy the summer. Now what I plan to do is to swim a lot, go for holidays, go out a lot with friends and read plenty of books.A reason that I love summer so much is because the roads become lively as people go out of their houses a lot.Even the ones that entrap themselves within a house at least open their window, they open their window to the world.
Have a beautiful summer and on September I have already lots of things to write.However, its difficult for me to stay long in the computer and I think I do need a break.I was reading an article the other day in a blog where he was saying that people who start a blog must be a bit vain or at least self-centered if their blog is a diary of thoughts .What an interesting thought!I don't know if I am vain but I certainly need the expression even though I am very sociable and expressive.I might be a bit vain in the sense that I like my self and that I believe that what I write matters.I am happy that I believe that what I write matters and that I can influence or touch others.If we believed that what we said or did didn't matter then we would never start anything.
At the same time during this last blog year there was a time that I wanted to quit when I realised that some blogs served the purpose of dating and bitching without arguments. But society is like that and I guess the blog community is a microcosmos of society. If people are so eager to back stab you then why not attempting to do that in a blog community.However, this is not something that affects me; a person has to do what they have to do and I can chose what to read.
In the blogs I learned news faster than anyone and news were followed with a variety of arguments something that the media does not provide a reader.I have also met and made lots of blog friends that have never met but their ideas, opinions are inspiring and look forward as always to read more of their articles and discover bits of their personalities.
I think that blogs are like traveling in a foreign country.The more blogs you read the more open minded you become as you get acquainted to different ideas.Of course there always people that only want to find people that would enable them only to strengthen their ideas and fit in a group.Well, its their loss....



18 comments:
:'( I'm gonna miss you sooooo much. Every little thing you write is beautiful and matters.
Enjoy summertime and all these things that make us happy during this period of time. And if you don't feel like blogging but you want to communicate with a "digital friend" of yours, email me :)
Have fun!!!!!
@ggk
I am only going to relax a bit for the summer so that in September or a bit earlier I will have loads more to write.I do have some things that ache me to write now but I will wait so that I can see how they will evolve!Of course I will be visiting and commenting during the summer your blog!You are so sweet.See you maybe in the James and Smashing Pumpkins concert?You enjoy your summer too darling!
healthy attitude! enjoy every moment!
Summer is some kind of break to people but it has its own soul and developing effect. Every summer, I find a different part of me evolving into someone different and stronger. I think it is the time of digesting the things you experienced in other seasons.
Bloggers are vain? That totally depends on what a blogger is writing. If someone is publishing his/her daily life, I, too, think it's vain. But in your case, Pixie, it has meaning or at least I find meaning in them. Thoughts should be expressed. And to me it is enviable having lot of thoughts worth writing.
Well, vanity is misunderstood and underappreciated, I'll tell you that much. If we didn't possess the quality of vanity, we'd all be christian scout boys/girls living in that pretentious world of impecable (my ass) morality. What a drag that would be. I say let's all acknowledge and celebrate our vanity, like every human quality, at the right dosage it's a merit.
And on the other hand, yes, some things we say and do just don't make the tiniest difference. But, hey, that doesn't mean we won't say and do them, right?
The media is long dead as a means of conveying information. Even before the internet, the diversity of tools people have used to communicate has been amazing. Just look at the late eighties fanzines and you'll be amazed at the sheer number of different kinds of reasons why people would start writing and printing. But the web is a huge blow, not as much concerning how the information is distributed, but rather who gets to distribute it.
You're wrong to be a harsh judge to finding a mate as a purpose of surfing around the web though. It's as valid a cause as any. People are lonely and there's no reason that makes more perfect sense to be attracted to someone than realising you're actually getting what he/she's ranting about.
I hate the summer, it always brings out the asshole in me. How can you guys love all that heat and all that sweating and stuff?
@dawkinson
you too sweety
@gorgi
I feel like that too about summer.Its a time to digest what has happened and recollect your thoughts and purposes its like when a year ends and a new year begins.I think that my blog is not a diary as I write mostly about social aspects but I don't think that having a diary blog is bad either.A diary blog can be a self exploration.Thank you for your kind words.What are you going to do in the summer?
@Kayman
I am so proud to have my first comment from you!You are right vanity is a concept misunderstood and in the article that I read I think that he had a point as it requires a kind of vanity (in the positive sense) to reflect on one self. This is why I said that without vanity nothing would happen possibly and I will participate in your celebration.
Its amazing that you mentioned fanzines as I used to have one in the 90s though.I think that slowly the DIY movement started to fade and we have the emergence of blogs,
Khayman I am not judging people that want to find a mate through blogs.Maybe I wasn't clear.I only hate the hidden agendas!
Thanks for the inspiration!
Well you can't just start a blog saying "hey I'm really lonely and would love some company and here's who I am and what it feels like to be me in case you're interested". Cause that would be so real and that's a major no-no.
You used to have a fanzine? What was it about, really, I'm intrigued.
@khayman
Anyway my article was not about dating but still I don't think that blogging should be a mere dating service. If this comes across its something else.(if you were a girl you would understand me something happened that angered me)
I had a fanzine/DIY record label related to punk.
My kind of thing then :P
Always a pleasure to read from you pixie. Hope all you guys get a great summer this year.
@khayman
You too darling!I will be visiting you in your blog.
Writting personal thoughts in a blog is as vain as any other thing in life. It's in the eye of the beholder.
Another view I recently have is that maybe vanity and egocentrism have both to do with the number of comments someone receives. Someone who opened yet another blog might have wondered whether it's worth the effort. Another blog is just one little drop in the big ocean and it will be either vain to expect that it gets succesful in comments (as if that was the only reason for someone to open a blog) or if it really does oneday, other people are jealous of this blog and it's "egocentric" writer ;P
In fact, I have heared from several people that they were thinking to close their blogs because of no comments or anything. That's the vanity part they feel. When you write something on the net, you really don't know who's reading. Your blog seems like a lost island in the ocean. But you'd be surprised how much people might pass around your place and read something even if there are no evidence (comments). In my own case, this year the Pixelshow demoparty 2007 took place in Patra once again after two years of absence. I had two whole years to meet some of my greek demoscene friends in this event and you can't imagine how many of them approached me and said "Hey! I had been reading your blog where you said.. and I agree/disagree.. had the same feeling as you.. I understand what you wrote there, etc.". And I mean, people whom I would never expect that they could even bother to read blogs at all cause I have never spotted them anywere in the blog-o-sphere before. It was a great surprise for me! There is nothing ego-centric here but just the fact that even if someone doesn't receive comments, he/she doesn't have to feel vain, someone might be reading at this moment and even if not, I like to think of yet another blog as a tiny island in the ocean with it's own special beauty :)
So, I guess it makes a sense for me. Even since long, I decide to write whatever I care about without worrying about getting zero comments. I know that someone might be reading right now. I even know that some of my friends who happen to be in the army/foreign studies/etc might read my news there. Not that I don't get to meet them in real life too. In fact, it's great to see the blog of my very good friend Stone Sober updated (Hey, for example I'll just read more news from him early (just updated, lol) before he ever gets some days free from army and we speak about the same matters face to face. Makes me happy to read something new from him. It's not an add, just an example :)
p.s. As for the summer, I hate it too in the same way khayman does :P. But just a preference of course. Winter rules!!! =)
In which blog/article did you read that about blogs=vanity btw? (if you remember). I'd like to read it for a chance..
Well, I think we've missed the whole vain point thing a bit. I get the feeling vanity was intended to point to an over the top sense of self-love, rather than vanity as a word to portray the fruitlessness or pointlessness of certain acts.
But anyhow I completely agree with optimus. Comment counting is pointless. It does feel good though to know that people appreciate what you write, and that is partly because of our little friend, vanity.
It happened to me in the past, I used to participate in a web based projet and people would meet me in person me go, "so you're that guy, I loved what you wrote there", etc and I can't deny I didn't appreciate it, but after a while you realize it's really no big deal. Someone just read something you wrote and just happened to agree with you, nothing more, nothing less. If you're not the typical jock, it just takes a while to swallow the idea that there's people just like you out there, but it's really no big deal.
We all possess this quality, to a lesser or greater degree. I mean, even those rock stars that grow to hate their recognition are in fact the ones that sought after it in the first place. I assure you, even DIY bands that have no wish for mass recognition prefer playing for 100 people than 10. Even struggling to not be liked is a sign of vanity.
What I think is we should just accept we all are and should be vain in certain apsects of our lives, and that's a-ok, as long as we don't make an effort to nourish that vanity. Just don't take ourselves that seriously, really.
You guys should write a post on vanity!Well concerning comments I have written an article in the past and I agree with you.For me comments are important because they can create a dialogue (not because they validate my writings) but if there are not many comments its fine because when we write we write for expression and not for the acknowledgment.
Pixie μπες στο bloggaki μου και δες την all time καλύτερη τηλεφωνική συνομιλία που ηχογραφήθηκε ποτέ.Τελος.
Is creative nonfiction vain?
Πολύ ενδιαφέρον και ωραίο ποστ.. για φινάλε σεζόν.. μωρέ λες και εγώ να είμαι vain;; μαλλον!!
Καλό καλοκαίρι!! Ένα μπλογκ χρησιμεύει σε πολλά πράγματα... και πρώτα απ' όλα για να εκθέσουμε τα πράγματα που μας απασχολούν. Προφανώς μπορεί να απασχολούν και άλλους..
Post a Comment