Sunday, February 11, 2007

My guitar is sleeping…

When I was 14 I bought an electric guitar. I went to a music school for a year and then I started playing on my own. I used to try to play with my guitar the music that I was listening to as my personal experiences were always followed by a soundtrack. It is difficult to learn how to play guitar by yourself and a year later I was lucky that I met a friend that loved playing guitar. We met from an advertisement as he was selling some cd’s that he had twice and we became close friends. He showed me how to play the most obscure rock bands and he made me really love my guitar.

Just before I leave Greece in order to study, I bought a black big guitar case in order to be able to move my guitar across countries. It was always difficult travelling with my guitar and all these suitcases but there were always nice people that would help me in the airport. I continued to play even though having an electric guitar an amp and plugs in a small student room was uncomfortable. Then a year later, my friend Howard bought me an acoustic guitar for my birthday. That was really unexpected as the present arrived anonymously (because he knew I could not accept it) and I discovered a year later that it came from my friend.

Then in my small room I had two guitars. I played in a project with some other friends and it was the first and last experience that I had from a recording studio. What I realized was that I could not play alone anymore as music needs to be shared with others. It was so beautiful writing songs and music in a collaboration with people that cared not so much for the instrument ability but for the messages conveyed through the lyrics.

In my last year in England I lived opposite a park. There I met a singer and guitarist from a local band that almost every day was sitting in the park playing his acoustic guitar. He invited me to play with him and we would meet every weekend if the weather was good to play. I learned more from him than I learned all my life. He used to download songs that I had never heard and he taught me how to play and sing close to my voice.

Since then I have stopped playing guitar. For me the important thing was never to be good at playing guitar or knowing techniques. The important thing was to share with someone the music, writing lyrics and sing not for a purpose but for expression. It makes me sad that I don’t feel like playing guitar now but I think the reason is that I started seeing this instrument as something that it involves other people. And the people that I loved to play with are no longer in my life as some live far away, others have moved on and for this reason my guitar is sleeping in my closet. Maybe it will wake up again in the future…

(art by jaysu)

19 comments:

Nada said...

Well, we have had some common experiences.

I used to live in England and, surprisingly enough, my house was located opposite a park where I used to hang around with other musicians.

Your post has stirred those memories in my mind.

Cheers...

(P.S. Never abandon your guitar)

Stormrider said...

My guitar also rusts in a closet...

Girls playing guitar are so cute ;))

Pixie said...

@Nada
really we have some common experiences I read in your site that you studied in England too.Welcome to my blog and thank you for your comment!

@storm
We should play some day with our rusted guitars!Thank you sweety!

Αλεξία Ηλιάδου (synas) said...

Θα σου ξανάρθει... Όταν θα νοιώσεις την ανάγκη να εκφραστείς απ' την αρχή...

Mia Wallace said...

This is such a nice post Pixie! Thank you! My guitar is also sleeping... she is resting on one of my bedroom walls back in Athens (and I need to change the cords as well!)My consolation is that one day she will be the most appropriate means to express myself so I will wake her up from her slumber... :)

Anonymous said...

Και η δική μου κιθάρα(όχι ηλεκτρική)κοιμάται.Ξεκίνησα να μαθαίνω στα 10,ίσως λίγο αργά.Πάντως μου άρεσε.Τώρα είναι στο πατάρι και φοβάμαι ότι θα έχει σκεβρώσει από την υγρασία.Της λείπει και μια χορδή.Πάντως είναι μέσο έκφρασης,αναμφισβήτητα.Περισσότερο τώρα μου αρέσουν το πιάνο και το βιολί.

Pixie said...

@syna
Ναι έτσι πιστεύω και εγώ σε ευχαριστώ για το σχόλιο σου!

@Mia and gitsaki and storm
We are so many that we could wake up our guitars and form a band.The only problem is that we will be an only guitar band.Gitsaki you still have time to learn the violin so there is hope for us to make it in the music business:)
Thank you Mia and Gitsaki I missed your comments!

Stormrider said...

@pixie
full-guitar band? cool! We can do a project just like the reunion of the Eagles! I dont think they have anything better from us...

Mia Wallace said...

Ωραία ιδέα! Μόνο που εγώ θα παίζω σε απευθείας σύνδεση λόγω απόστασης!! ;)

Το ξέρω είμαι απαράδεκτη, έχει πέσει πολλή δουλειά και άγχος όπως καταλαβαίνεις κι έχω παραμελήσει το blogging...

Pixie said...

@storm
we will be so much better than the eagles and we will have more energy because we are young!

@mia
no problem,now with the web cams and skype we can even have a live concert from a distance!Look after yourself!

3 parties a day said...

Θα έρθει η ώρα που θα την ξαναβάλεις στη ζωή σου.
Ξέρεις, τώρα που σου γράφω το σχόλιο έχω δίπλα μου την κόρη μου που παίζει κιθάρα. Eτοιμάζεται για το μάθημά της!

Stormrider said...

@pixie
dont forget the technique, inspiration and experience!!! ;p

Pixie said...

@3 parties
Δεν το πιστεύω οτι έχεις κοριτσάκι και μαθαίνει και κιθάρα!Ειμαι σίγουρη οτι θα είσαι κοντά της οτι και αν θέλει να ακολουθήσει!
Πάντως το δημιουργικό μου κενό το καλύπτει η φωτογραφία και το blog αλλα τώρα που έχω και προτάσεις θα την ξεσκονίσω.

@storm
...and so much more:))

melomenos said...

είχα κι εγώ μια μικρή κιθαρούλα πάντα μου άρεσε να την κάνω μπαγλαμαδάκι!
την έχω ακόμα όμως, αναμνήσεις αλησμόνητες
καλημέρα σου

Dawkinson said...

a)Long live Howard! They don't come like him anymore.
b) I hope your guitars have better luck than my piano...

Pixie said...

@melomenos
επειδή είσαι ρομαντικός ήμουν σίγουρη οτι θα είχες κιθαρουλα

@dawkinson
It was amazing what he did especially because he told me that he had never bought anything expensive before to anyone and he was my friend not a boyfriend.If you also think that he is British they are not popular for their generosity.
With your piano now we are ready to go live!

Anonymous said...

και εγω θα ηθελα να παιζω ενα μουσικο οργανο..

Anonymous said...

αλλα δεν ξερω με ποιο τροπο να ξεκινησω να το κανω αυτο και που..εδω στην ελλαδα δεν ειναι οι νεοι και τοσο μουσικοφιλοι..

Pixie said...

@anisixos
Αν είναι κατι που σου αρέσει μπορείς να μάθεις μόνο σου αν έχεις και κάποιο φίλο να σου πει τα βασικά.Εγώ κατέβαζα ταμπλατούρες απο τραγούδια που μου άρεσαν και έτσι άρχισα να παίζω.