Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Holidays can deceive...

The holidays have left me feeling a bit exhausted and ill. This Christmas holidays I planned to do many things for myself. I wanted to go out and take photographs for my photography assignments.I wanted to revise my Spanish, I wanted to finish my research and I wanted to read my book. Instead, I was all the time out with people, spend a lot of time finding presents and lately I stayed in bed feeling ill; having no motivation to do anything. I am not complaining I enjoyed the time that I spend with my friends but I feel that sometimes holidays deceive us. We are entangled in many shoulds, musts and obligations and in the end we feel empty.We act like superman as we try to manage everything by ourselves.Our holidays are not only about others but also about spending sometime with ourselves and doing things that we enjoy.The less our obligations the happier our holidays.

(art by radar love)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ego to mono aschimo pou vlepo se ola afta pou eginan i pou ekanes itan oti arrostisses.Diaforetika mallon xalarosses kai to apolafsses!
Kalimera!
Sorry gia ta greeklish alla kati epathe to pliktrologio!

Pixie said...

Ναι γιτσακι καλά πέρασα.Απλά υπήρχαν και αρκετά πρέπει στις γιορτές που τα αποφεύγω στην ζωή μου.Νομίζω οτι ενώ έλεγα οτι θα ξεκουραστώ και θα κάνω κάποια πράγματα δεν ασχολήθηκα καθόλου με μένα.Το άρθρο δεν είναι τόσο για μένα αλλά για τον κόμο που τις γιορτές είναι όλο με συγγενείς,τρέχει απο τράπεζι σε τραπέζι,αναγκάζεται να πάει στο χωριό και τότε χάνεται το νόημα τον γιορτών.Ευτυχώς δεν είναι έτσι για μένα.Καλή Χρονιά!

Dawkinson said...

inyppixiedarling!
Holidays are there to remind us with their sparkling lights how happy or unfullfilled we are. They are ment to make us happy if gifts and moments are to be shared and unhappy if not.They are conventions to be cherished or be left unaccounted for. They are promises to keep or be broken. Either way, holidays account for moments to be real to yourself. They are no milestones or thresholds. They are conventional periods that do no need to be explained or intentionally be 'filled' with feelings. I am glad yours was busy and interactive, girl!

Stormrider said...

γεία σου pixie!

έχεις δίκιο σε όσα λες, πολλά "πρέπει" κι υποχρεώσεις κι εγώ όλα με κακό μάτι τα έβλεπα.

η γνώμη μου άλλαξε όμως όταν βράδυ πρωτοχρονιάς πριν την βραδυνή έξοδο κάτσαμε όλοι μαζί η οικογένεια μαζί με οικογενειακούς φίλους και πέξαμε χαρτιά. πέρασα τόσο καλά που αισθάνθηκα ότι αν και δεν έκανα εκείνη τη στιγμή αυτό που προγραμμάτιζα (=πήγα εκεί "από υποχρέωση") ήταν μία μοναδική βραδιά μαζί με δικούς μου που ελάχιστες ευκαιρίες θα μου δωθούν να τη ξαναζήσω...

Pixie said...

dawkinson @storm
I had an active holiday for sure.On New Years Εve I was with family and then I had a party in the house for my friends.I slept at 11.At Christmas I was away and I had a lot of fun.The only thing is that I tried to see everyone that I did not see before Christmas so holidays shouldn't only be the only opportunity o see everyone you want.A friend that is a mother had so many obligations that she told me that in the end she really felt empty as she show no point at this consumption madness!Some obligations can turn out to be good I agree with you storm.Thats a nice surprise that makes you challenge your preconceptions.
I hope that everyone will have a challenging new year and that we will not be ill again soon.Περαστικά μας βρε τουλάχιστον το χαρήκαμε!

Anastasia Konstantakatou said...

I am the least objective person to talk here as holidays means a lot to mean including coming back to Greece seeing people I do not see for the rest of the year... However I do see the point you make pixie and I agree I hate everything conventional.. i think the best way is to be friends with family so family gatherings never become boring.. haha i know this is often surreal but let's keep the optimism for a little!

Pixie said...

@anastasia
I loved it so much when I was coming for my holiday breaks from England.I loved seeing everyone and being with my family.It was also fun because when you come for such a short time you only see the good things and the best in people.

BugoTheCat said...

I really liked what you said about "spending time with myself" and the fact that you wanted to do so many creative things inside the holidays. The new years eve holiday was not creative for me but really great fun (afterall I wished to meet so many people I had a month or so to see because of the army), so fun that I got sick after extreme alcohol drinking (some 3 bottles of wine and retsina ;) and dancing like crazy to the sound and darkness of demos. Hehe..

I remember when I was getting quite creative during the summer and everybody looked at me strange working on my computer. Well, I have plenty of time then for excessive demo programming and other activities, I personally get bored being more than one week in the sea ;P (I prefer small holidays and lot's of free time for me)

p.s. Also the most unconventional holiday/birthday thing my smaller brother likes to do, is preferring to buy surprise presents to his girlfriend in a random day without a reason instead of the days when it's predictable to do so. Hahaha :)