
I am watching lately a series that I loved from the very first episode.Its called Six Feet Under and it portrays the life of a family that run a funeral business.It sounds a bit macabre I know but it uncovers the topic of death and consequently life from different points of views, from religion to agnosticism as people deal with death differently.In every episode the series starts by showing the death of an unknown character whose funeral service will occur in Fishers and Sons funeral home.We can see the way that the relatives react,learn a bit about the person and the way that the Fishers are dealing with death.We can also learn about the commercial aspects of death and the ways that funeral homes run their business.The Fishers are a family that is hanging between functional and dysfunctional.Apart from dealing with people in grief daily they have also experienced a loss in their family and have to cope with that.The characters are complex and yet simple that go through life ordeals as they realize that life can change in an instance.This is really a series that combines drama, black comedy and the most accurate psychological profiles I have ever seen.
It is no wonder that the creator of the series is the Oscar award winning Alan Ball that created the film American Beauty. The series has also won various awards and has reached season 5. The complexity and simplicity of the characters portrayed, the existential angsts given through comedy and drama make this series something really special.It is at times quite surreal and this is the strong aspect of the series.Its a series worth seeing and every episode truly provides food for thought.That is if you are not too scared of mortuaries and cemeteries.Wait, I take it back. If you really are scared of the concept of death maybe it is essential that you watch this series; perhaps there you can find some answers.



5 comments:
It is one of my most favourite series ever! It is intellectually impelling and attacks many stereotypes in a sarcastic but also a sensitive way (for instance the death motif is approached from different perspectives but not ridiculed). I have often laughed and cried a lot while watching it, but it has been a great companion (I love Lily Taylor as an actress!!!)
It's bizarre and that makes it great in my book. I like the fact that it's not pretentious at any point and it doesn't really try to convey a message. It's fascinating to realize that ordinary people's stories are more interesting to watch than the adventures of super cool teenies. Plus it deals with homosexuality for what it is. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Which, by the way, is the sole reason why it's not played early in Saturday morning.
@Mia
Nothing I have ever watched is like this series!Lily Taylor was in high fidelity, no?She is brilliant!And Bettina too (remember her in misery?)
@khayman
I really like the way that homosexuality is handled.No pretending, no idealizing, homosexuals as human beings that can be functional or dysfunctional like every one else!I have yet to finish the 5th season.I will finish it this week before I leave for holidays.Its a series that is really addicted!
Wow! That's a brilliant idea for a series. I didn't know about it till I read your post. I am not a person who is afraid of death rather than the pain of death (I am wondering what the series say about the second). I think I will find it a very interesting watch. (Sorry for short msg, I am writting here from mobile)
@optimus
Εσενα θα σου αρέσει πάρα πολυ!Πρεπει να το δεις!Καλα τι λές;Χαίρομαι που έκανες τον κοπο και μου έγραψες μεσω του κινητού σου!Ελπιζω να εισαι καλά!
Post a Comment