Monday, November 26, 2007

Inside a deep well...

In our lives we all go through moments that are particularly difficult. Moments in which everything seems to be going wrong; times where an unpleasant event succeeds another. Usually unpleasant incidents attack as a group. It’s as if misfortune likes company and just waits to test ones limits as to how much he or she can handle. I am reading this novel by Haruki Murakami that is titled “The wind up bird chronicle”.

The protagonist observes a series of unfortunate events happening to him and we engage in his struggle to cope and rediscover his lost happiness. When he was younger the protagonist remembers a wise elder that told him “that when you are going down find the deepest well and stay there”. Years later when everything in his life started to fall apart he remembers the elder words and he actually finds a deep and dry well and stays there day in order to think. He then distances himself from reality, even forgetting his own material existence as he stays in the dark well. He re-visits his memories and thoughts and by staying deep inside a well he attempts his first steps to recovery. It s like what many people say that sometimes you have to die in order to be reborn into someone that is more happier and healthier. I thought that this well metaphor is actually really beautiful. And only a Japanese author could turn something that is metaphoric to an act that would transform a character. Just had to share.

Really what is amazing as we are so complex individuals is that everyone has a different way of coping with the misfortunes that life throws at us.

(art by pesare)

8 comments:

khayman said...

I used to think that you need to hit rock bottom before you can recover, but like any cliche, it's hardly the truth. For starters, the absolute rock bottom is suicide and it's kind of hard to recover from that.

I just think that when you're really going down there's two ways to get out of the mess. Either someone takes the time to help you or you have to destroy your former self and pick up the pieces and start over. Either way, you need to lose a part of you and I've come to believe that the process of growing up is losing the layers of yourself one by one until the more vulnerable core is exposed. And so you either end up replacing those layers with borrowed and utterly lose yourself in them or you're left with the core exposed and just suck it all down.

Another thing I've noticed is that there's a cast of people that nurtures and harbors feelings like misery or angst or sadness and often feel safer or more comfortable inside them. And this is something I appreciate and indulge into myself but there's a point where you just don't want to hurt anymore as the suffering that once was a creative force often turns sterile and bitter.

And so, you know, sometimes it's hard to let go and try to be healthier and more positive and just take what you can get from life.

And the shame is, you know, it would be so much easier if we weren't so god damn torn apart.

I really like the book's concept, are you reading it in English?

Stormrider said...

"find the deepest well and stay there" ??

its difficult to distinguish if that means constructive meditation/self-reflection or running away from problems...

Pixie said...

@khayman
I don't believe also that you need to hit rock bottom in order to recover.Quite the opposite. The protagonist hit rocked bottom because someone pushed him as he witnessed his whole life transforming within days.We all face hardships at some point where we have to really make a courageous effort in order to recover like him.

I read it in Greek as its Japanese, its a good translation, still have a few pages left.I like it a lot but I am not very objective with Japanese authors as I love them!

@storm
in the well he was left alone with his thoughts and memories and even forgot his own material existence.He concentrated more on reality by distancing himself.He did not run away actually I think he only stayed there for 1 or 2 days but it was quite amazing.Still have to see if the well has a symbolism as I haven't finished the book yet.I wonder how you rise again?Like your sign states?

Elias said...

I once tried the Wild Sheep Chase by that author (Haruki Murakami), narrating also the dispair of a young man whose life goes down the drain, and who finds redemption in a semi-mythical figure of an animal that goes back to Jenkins Han (!). Most probably, H. Murakami describes the same hero under different names in every novel of his. Finishing up the Wild Sheep, I didn't know whether I liked it or not, it was so weird. I guess I was impressed by his writing style, so unfamiliar to me, however I couldn't tell if I was going to read it again eventually.
Recently I gave the Wild Sheep a second chance but couldn't get over page 30. What I found out was that the text was not so provoking and interesting as it had been on the first reading.
Sorry, but I cannot easily relate to them Japanese and their mentality!

oni said...

Μια φίλη μου μου πρότεινε το βιβλίο του Μουρακάμι επίσης και ακόμη δεν αξιώθηκα να το πάρω. Έχω αρκετά αδιάβαστα στο ράφι και δεν έχω βρει χρόνο. Γι' αυτό και ακόμη δεν ξεψάχνισα το μπλογκ σου, αλλά έχω να πω ένα προς το παρόν: Τα χρώματα και οι εικόνες που επιλέγεις είναι τέλεια!

Gorgi said...

I can see the points in your ideas. But in my view "finding the deepest well and staying there for a while" means a pure solidarity in which you even leave your own usual, daily thoughts, prejudices, lessons etc. Mostly it is the daily and wordly things that keeps us away from focusing enough on the self and also the problems. Occupying social life, distracting natural occasions, responsibilities, needs, feelings, and so. If a person can isolate himself from these temporarily, then, in my opinion, he would be able to see himself and thigns from a wider point of view.

Stop yourself from life once in a while.

Pixie said...

@κουνούπι
Ι haven't read this book that you mention nor any other and I realize its a different type of book; this is why I can't recommend to anyone Murakami.I am not sure what kind of people would like him, just know I do.But you are right in that his narration is amazing!

@oni
Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ oni!Ειμαι τυχερή που ανακάλυψα το δικό σου ιστολόγιο πραγματικα!

@gorgi!
This is exactly how I felt by his gesture to move into the well for a while!Distances from all reality to re-gain perspective. You should be a co-author in my blog!

Gorgi said...

:) Thanks a lot.