Monday, May 14, 2007

Dear grandmother...

You know that I adore you and that I miss you. When I was young I spend all my summers with you and I have the most beautiful memories. To be honest I was happy to get away from the house and coming there felt like a sanctuary. You loved me and let me be myself and gave me the greatest lessons in life. You said that you wish that you could escape.The other relatives are fighting and gossiping all the time and you told me yourself that I am lucky to live in Athens and not in Crete. You always protected me from them and when they hurt me... you never forgot.

Today you called me and I feel so sad. I know that you are older and I know that life is short but it hurts me when you talk like that. I know that you have problems now that my grandfather has dementia and that instead of supporting you they are hurting you. Today you said to me that you call me because you want to hear my voice as you think that you will die soon. You said to me that you are sorry that you can’t live to see me married and happy because this is the only think that keeps you alive. It breaks my heart to hear you say this to me and... I told you that my father will come soon and he will come and get you. I know that you want to leave but you can’t escape from there… but I hope that you reconsider and look after yourself. There will be a chance for me to see you and you will see that I am happy. You know that we will not let you sit in a corner like the others do to you because you are useful and strong. My family loves you and I adore you. All I want to say is that I am so happy that you are my grandmother…mi abuelita.

(art by freckleface)

12 comments:

CrazyCow said...

Στεναχωρήθηκα λίγο στην αρχή αλλά το ένιωσα το ποστ... έχω τόσο καλές σχέσεις με τον παππού μου κ τη γιαγιά μου που σφίγγεται η καρδιά μου... να της τα λες όλα αυτά που έγραψες... :)

Pixie said...

Αυτά που έγραψα είναι αυτά που δεν μπορούσα να της πώ.Της είπα οτι την περιμένω, οτι όλα θα πάνε καλά και οτι την αγαπάω τίποτα άλλο.Συγνώμη αν σε στεναχώρησα...

ggk said...

Αχ, μωρέ τι γλυκιά που είναι μερικές φορές η σχέση μεταξύ εγγονιών με τις γιαγιάδες/ παππούδες τους. Εμένα δυστυχώς δεν ήταν έτσι.
Μη στενοχωριέσαι! Όλα θα πάνε καλά.. θα το δείς.
Υπομονή ως τότε, έτσι;
Φιλιά

Gorgi said...

It seems that the life of your grandma hasn't been an easy one. It saddens me quite much to hear her willingness to "escape"; I wish it would be a peaceful expectation for a contended departure, not an desperate escape... I dont know how old is she and the situation; but sometimes it is better to let them go since their life gets more difficult as they grew old and weary. My now departed grandfather suffered much as his sons tried to make him live much longer (he was 96 years old) and in my opinion, by providing him 5 half-concious years, all they did was to torment him. I dont know, sometimes it is just selfish to want people to stay... Of course I am not telling you that you are selfish. This is entirely an another case.

Pixie said...

@ggk
σε καταλαβαίνω και εγώ δεν γνωρίζω τους παππούδες μου απο την πλευρά της μαμάς μου, εδώ δεν νοιάστηκαν για τη μαμά μου ποτέ....Εχω μια γιαγιά και ένα παππού

@gorgi
My granny is 83 and healthy.She wants to escape not from life but from Crete (an island) and come to live with us.But she can't leave because my grandfather has dementia and she faces difficulties every day.She also have difficulties with the relatives.She called me to tell me that she is sorry that she might not live long enough to see me because she thinks with all these problems she can't last.But she wants to live. I agree with you if someone suffers from an illness I would not keep them alive just so that they can be a living plant.And as for my grandmother I love her too much to do that.

Αγγελική Στ. said...

Αχ γιαγιάδες.. Δεν ξεχνώ τη δικιά μου.. μία γνώρισα δυστυχώς... αλλά τι μία!!

Anonymous said...

:(:(:(

s_k said...

αν καταλαβα καλα και ειναι κρητικια η γιαγια μην ανησυχεις γαι τιποτα.

Pixie said...

@sunshine
και εγώ το ίδιο μια και φανταστική

@fuzzy
ναι και είναι πολυ δυνατή, δεν ανησυχώ νιώθω λίγο καλύτερα

Anonymous said...

Πολύ τρυφερό το κείμενό σου!Και με άγγιξε ιδιαίτερα γιατί είχα μια πολύ δυνατή σχέση με τη δική μου γιαγιά!
Να την προσέχεις και να την αγαπάς!

Maquila Donna said...

Te deseo un feliz re-encuentro con tu abuelita. Uno no se da cabal cuenta de lo inspiradora que puede ser una relación con ellas hasta que se van. Mis dos abuelas ya murieron y me arrepiento de no haber pasado más tiempo con ellas.

Abrazos.

Pixie said...

@gitsaki
σε ευχαριστώ πάρα πολύ!

@epidia
Esto occure porque olvidamos que la vida es corta y pensamos que las personas queridas nunca se van a morir.Besos