An integration and a synthesis of the biological and psychological functions of dreaming could be useful in truly investigating the nature of dreaming. I am interested in your opinion as we all carry a dreaming factory in our brain.
(art by krecha)Tuesday, December 12, 2006
The dream factory
“Yet it is in our idleness, in our dreams, that the submerged truth sometimes comes to the top.”
Virginia Wolf
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




13 comments:
I have stumbled upon a reference in an article of some rare cases of people sleeping for a very long time. Not in a coma, something entirely diferrent. When they returned back after years of sleep, they remembered a whole life they have lived inside their dreams, in a place that didn't look much diferrent than this world. I find these stories very fascinating even if I can't verify them or find something similar on the net (maybe I should search outside the net in a library :). For everyone who is interested for these cases, read Nyarlathotep's big comment in the 2nd page of this thread here (http://www.antidogma.gr/vb/showthread.php?t=2626&page=2). I'd really wish to find more about these incidents in the future. It totally fascinates me that this might be possible!
Imagine your vision suddenly blurring, waking up in another reality, realizing that your life was just a big dream. That's what surprises me and scares me at the same time in this story.
Other than that, I guess dreams is a very interesting subject for me, even if I am not into documenting my dreams as I wished to, since I usually forget them or I am simply to bored to get a notepad and write something when I wake up in the morning. I wish I could put a plan and try some interesting things with my dreams. Have you heard of lucid dreaming. I always wake up when I am suddenly aware that I am currently dreaming :P
The link.
p.s. Something is happening btw and I can't seem to be able to post with my blogger account.. (The system could not login you). Maybe I'll try to open a google account to login with the new system ;P
@Optimus
I think that what you described about people that waking up after being in a coma does not have so much to do with dreaming and the normal process of sleeping,but more with the agonizing questions of what happens after we die or what is the state of consciousness that people who are in a coma experience.It is very interesting but I think what they experience is not dreaming as they are in a coma.Do people in a coma dream?I don't know what research suggests.
Concerning lucid dreaming that is something that can happen to everyone in their dreams we can see an interesting phenomenon.The dreamers while they dream they realize that they are dreaming and they manage to control their dreams.I am not sure how many people manage to do that but if you have more information please share it.
(Optimus I switched to beta blogger that why you face difficulties.You can open a google account there is an option below "the choose an identity")
@optimus
I checked the link.The first talked about someone waking from a coma.Thats why I talked to you about waking up from a coma in my first reply.The second talked about some cases of women that slept, they were not dead and woke up.Is it something that can be explained medically, I don't know, I am just a bit cautious because I have never heard of that.And they were dreaming?
Thanks for mentioning it.I will look into it.
Δεν πιστεύω κι εγώ στην ερμηνεία των ονείρων,όπως την εξηγεί ο Freud - θα συμφωνήσω ότι ήταν ο πρώτος που μίλησε πολύ γι αυτά και άνοιξε το δρόμο.
Δυστυχώς δεν τα θυμάμαι κατά τη διάρκεια της μέρας και μερικά θεωρώ ότι είναι σημαντικά -όχι ότι κουβαλούν κάποιο περίεργο μήνυμα από το υπερπέραν,ποτέ δεν το είδα έτσι.Αλλά με ενδιαφέρει να επανεξετάζω τα σχέδια,τα χρώματα,τους τόπους και τους ανθρωπους που σχηματίστηκαν στο όνειρό μου και που μου είναι όλα αυτά,συχνά,άγνωστα.Ποια λειτουργία του εγκεφάλου μας κάνει να βλέπουμε και να δημιουργούμε τέτοιες εικόνες;
Αν το καλοσκεφτούμε,είμαστε όλοι σκηνοθέτες καλών ή λιγότερο καλών ταινιών κάθε βράδυ.
Αυτά και άλλα πολλά...
dream? I can't say anything which would be less than page, although I am more concerned about daydreaming.
one funny thing about me is that when I share a room with other people, I am always anxious if I begin to talk in my sleep about things that might be embarrassing!!!
@γιτσάκι
Οσον αφορά το πια λειτουργία μας κάνει να βλέπουμε όνειρα ο Hobson αναφέρει οτι ενεργοποιούντε κάποιοι νευρώνες λανθασμένα και το μυαλό προσπαθώντας να καταλάβει τι έχει γίνει φτίαχνει μια σκηνοθεσία.
@stormrider
Πραγματικά θα μπορούσα να διαβάσω την σελίδα που θα έγραφες αν τη μοιραζόσουν.Μιλάς στον υπνο σού;Μην ανησυχείς συνήθως αυτά που λέγονται δεν είναι σημαντικά, ξέρω απο τον αδερφό μου που όταν παραμιλούσε άρχιζα τον διάλογο μπάς και μάθω κάτι αλλά τίποτα!Actually its cute!
Did the man drean he was a butterfly or did the butterfly dream it was a man? Maybe our everyday life is an illusion and reality is in our dreams...(Matrix)
Yes, it's not the beginning theme of the article, but the post from Nyarlathotep. He was the same person he wrote the portion of this text in a magazine and I was wondering about it's validity. I'd like to check the bibliography he talks about. Something fascinates me in this story..
Lucid dreams. I once thought lucid dreams is something special that only few people achieve, but that's wrong. Several of us have lucid dreams. I didn't knew it, wasn't entirely aware it, till I read the definition in the website http://www.dreamviews.com/. It's a very simplistic view of the subject without any spirituality/new-age connection, it's just for the people who are not much into such stuff but are curious about the phenomenon.
After reading the site, I remembered some cases where I jumped out of the balcony of my home in my dreams and flapped my hands and flied. Then I remember I was aware that this is a dream so I can fly. I never tried more, like changing the scenario or so. That was the basic motive, when I suddenly was aware I am in a dream, I was flying and living the scenario of that dream esp. if it wasn't good :) (E.g. a killer was chasing me and suddenly I was aware in one moment that it's a dream, so I flew outside my window away from the killer. And then I flew to another world, another dream).
That was the only motive. The wicked thing is that when I read about lucid dreaming and I was more astonished, then the next days when I dreamed and was more aware of it, when I found I was lucid dreaming and tried to think more of it, I woke up (The classic problem of lucid dreaming). Before that, I was semi-aware of it when I was flying but not in it's full astonishment. I wasn't awaking then. Now, when I fly I remember I am lucid dreaming more, and I wake up :P
In few words, I was once lucid dreaming without entirely knowing it. After I read about lucid dreams and I understood that, I was so astonished, that now when I have the fly dream, it's a dream sign that makes me aware I am dreaming, I try to feel it more and so I wake up, I can't keep the dream, I instantly wake up :) (There are techniques to not wake up but I haven't tried them)
@dawkinson (mary)
Right to the point!
@optimus
thank you for sharing this beautiful dream and your thoughts on lucid dreaming.I don't know if its somethhing that happen to everyone but it is possible to control them.You should see Gondry's the science of sleep that the main character is having a lot of lucid dreaming.I especially like the opening scene where he describes what dreams are made of.
We have a dreaming factory after all.
Thank you. I just checked some random videos in YouTube with the keyword "Michel Gondry" to have a short idea of his work and I'd say it has a unique potentional as a creative video work I'd have to have a look at in the future. Maybe I should watch the movies he directed or find his videoclips in the near future to have a full experience of his work, instead of the random pieces I have checked in Youtube.
Mind is like an out of control waterspout in dreaming. It has a lot to remember and to stock. I myself usually dream strange things (once I was gliding between mount peaks with my little colourful umbrella), because I mostly think peculiar things. My friend is always a victim of psychopathic creatures in her dreams because she is an horror film fan. I am usually aware that I am dreaming but cant always have full control as my mind is a tricky one... I mostly fool myself.
Post a Comment